CHELMSFORD COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL FOR GIRLS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest123

Being left handed!!

Post by Guest123 »

My husband and I both being right handed have produced two left handers. My daughter is so left handed that she breaks door handles, window winders in cars and regularly pulls buttons off the stereo, my younger child is able to use both hands very efficiently. Although it makes little difference to either of them, my daughter will definitely "blame" her left handedness when using sports equipment but funnily enough does not use the excuse when playing musical instruments, writin etc. We don't make a big deal of it, just ignore the blame situation and move on...
When my daughter was in reception her teacher said, "She has the neatest writing I have ever seen .....for a left hander."
I can understand this quote though. We have often had teachers ask which one of us is left handed at parents evening - though we are never sure the relevance.... I think the only real issue at junior school was the seating and my daughter wanting to sit at the end of a row of seats so that she did not clash elbows with the right handed child next to her.
mum2007

Post by mum2007 »

Dear all,

I have only been practicing verbal and non verbal reasoning papers with my daughter for woodford county. I would like her to try chelmsford too but not sure what subjects they do for the 11+ test. Is it Maths and English papers only and when do they give dates for exam(s)

I live in redbridge so not sure if the catchment area would be a problem.

She is currently scoring 90+ in verbal and non verbal papers is that good?

Thanks
Nervous mum
Bingo

Post by Bingo »

mum2007 wrote:Dear all,

I have only been practicing verbal and non verbal reasoning papers with my daughter for woodford county. I would like her to try chelmsford too but not sure what subjects they do for the 11+ test. Is it Maths and English papers only and when do they give dates for exam(s)

I live in redbridge so not sure if the catchment area would be a problem.

She is currently scoring 90+ in verbal and non verbal papers is that good?

Thanks
Nervous mum

In Essex they do Maths, English and VR (which this year is multiple choice). The level of maths and English is very high - the English passages from the last 2 years have been Mill on the Floss and Tess of the D'burvilles (excuse the spelling!). There is no catchment area rule for Chelmsford County High. You should ring the CSSE in Chelmsford who will advise you on how to apply etc. The competition for places is fierce and CCHS is one of the hardest to get into. Saying that, my daughter is in year 7, came from a small primary school who did not support the 11+, the teaching wasn't great but she gained a place, although we did do regular practice papers. She is coping very well there and loves it. Good luck to you and your daughter.
mum2007

Post by mum2007 »

Thanks for the information.

Yes i will contact CSSE about registering.I suppose as i'm new to this 11+ process and no one to guide me on what schools we should try is no help.

Thanks again for you kind thoughts and support in this. :)
Essex Mum

Post by Essex Mum »

Is chelmsford a private school for girls or goverment school like woodford county high for girls??
Blessed

Post by Blessed »

CCSG is not a private school. It's a grammar school.
mum2007

Post by mum2007 »

Thanks again Blessed

Whe i contact the Redbridge LEA about the 11+ test they told me to ring back after the summer holidays. is this correct?
Who acutually send the forms to parents asking what schools they chose...
is it Essex County Council-Secondary school Admissions??

When do i need to look at schools on open days?
Blessed

Post by Blessed »

Hi Mum 2007,

You will be giving a form by either your local government or the child's school (one of them ).

On the form, you'll be asked to fill out in which you'll have to put down 6 choices or less. Just put down CCSG as one of the options or call the consortium to find out.

You can get some information from their site.
http://www.csse.org.uk/

Hope this is okay.
gue

Post by gue »

hi

sorry to change the tread

does anyone know term dates for cchs for sept 08
i am trying to book a holiday for next summer and need to know start back date

thanks
mum2007

Post by mum2007 »

Hi Bingo

I am preparing my daughter for the chelmsford school. any advice on what to revise and how. I ordered the papers before the summer break but found it was a bit too much for my daughter to have a look at them. My daughter is been going to a tutor but i can't find what's she learnt.

what books are good for the exam.do you know what the pass rate is and how many students they accept??

Many thanks
worried mum