With the dreaded date fast approaching and many people possibly having tough decisions to make next week, I was just wondering if there are any experienced parents on the forum that have ever turned down a grammar place for an indy....or vice versa... that have ever regretted their decision? I would really be interested in hearing if anyone has experienced this (the schools needn't be identified) and the reasoning behind the decision making.
My son was offered a place at an indie school but we turned this down in favour of our local grammar. I know my son would have done very well at the indie but, as far as we were concerned, the grammar offered a lot more.
I took my son to look round both schools and we came away thinking both were brilliant but the grammar offered a wider curriculum, sporting facilities were better and DS said he preferred the grammar school.
It was important for me to be equally positive about both schools because competition is extremely fierce for grammar places where I live.
I know that my son would have been happy whichever school he went to and I think this is important when thinking about which school is best. Not everyone is suited to a grammar education as I feel there is a lot more pressure on children academically. I say this from experience of already having a daughter at an indie school and seeing the difference in standard of work, expectations etc. As said, this is purely my own thoughts.
Also, there is the small matter of fees at an indie! As I have previously posted, this is a huge financial commitment and one which is ongoing. This does need to be considered if a grammar place were possibly turned down in favour of an indie.
You can start off at a grammar school (assuming a place is offered) and then move to an indie if things don't work out but virtually impossible to do it the other way round.
There is a lot to consider but this is also a good position to be in if these are your possible choices.