Chelmer Valley High Catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bizziemum

Chelmer Valley High Catchment

Post by Bizziemum »

Does anyone know the extent of the catchment area into Chelmsford of Chelmer Valley High? We hope to move into the area and would like to be in 'safe' catchment for this school should our DS not be successful in his 11+. Will be ringing and visiting the school but there's nothing like a bit of local knowledge. :)

Many thanks
aang

Re: Chelmer Valley High Catchment

Post by aang »

Chelmer Valley High School's admission policy can be found at http://www.chelmervalleyhighschool.co.u ... admissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

It states that the catchment area is "Where children live within the parishes of Good Easter, Mashbury, Pleshey, Chignal, Great and Little Waltham, Broomfield, Great and Little Leighs and Boreham which include the catchment areas of the following primary schools: Boreham County Primary, Broomfield Primary, Little Waltham C of E Primary, Great Waltham County Primary, Great Leighs County Primary, Ford End Primary, Melbourne Park County Primary and Newlands Spring Primary."
Bizziemum

Post by Bizziemum »

Thank you Aang. I did see that info but as we're looking to buy a house in the area I was trying to find out what geographical area was covered. I've spoken to the school today who have advised me their catchment is based on postcodes, and not feeder schools as the admission policy would lead you to believe. I think I can safely say this year is gearing up to be one of the most stressful in my life, what with a house move (if we can find one!) and the 11+ in September and all the extra pressure due to the likelyhood of the proposed catchment area for KEGS . I'm beginning to feel ever so slightly anxious :shock: And I thought it was tough the first time round!
aang

Post by aang »

Your stress level depends if you are a glass half full or half empty person ;-)

The proposed 12.5 mile catchment area will make getting into KEGS/ChCHS marginally easier than before if you are inside the catchment area. Chelmer Valley High School is rated outstanding by Ofsted, but there are plenty of other state schools in Chelmsford (Moulsham, Boswells, Great Baddow, Hylands, Sandon) which also produce students who subsequently go to KEGS/ChCHS sixth form.
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

Hi Bizzimum

This map may help with the geographical detail you want. Not sure what the school mean as the primary schools mentioned are all within area covered by the map - the only school I would not be 100% certain of would be Boreham because of its location but if you can give a postcode to the school I'm sure they could advise. You get more bang for your buck house wise there. http://schooladmissions.essexcc.gov.uk/ ... ubmit.y=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the record my ds is in year 10 at The Boswells school & doing very well. They have just converted to academy status. My dd will transfer there from her primary school in September after underperforming in the 11+ :'(

FYI The Sandon school are currently consulting on new admissions arrangements which will focus on priority given to feeder primary schools. Details on the school website.

Happy to help if you need any more info.
Clarabelle
Bizziemum

Post by Bizziemum »

Thanks Clarabelle, sorry to hear about your DD. It's a tough competition for our DC.
aang wrote:Your stress level depends if you are a glass half full or half empty person ;-)
When our no. 1 DS got himself into KEGS and as we live quite a distance away (outside proposed catchment area) we said we would move ready for no. 2 DS taking the 11+ this Sept. I am a glass half full person and realise we are lucky to be able to do this for our DC especially with all the changes that are afoot. Hope you're right Aang, about it being a bit easier now if 'in' catchment.
V. Bizziemum