CHELMSFORD CHS Versus WESTCLIFF HIGH SCHOOL FOR GIRLS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Fran17

Re: CHELMSFORD CHS Versus WESTCLIFF HIGH SCHOOL FOR GIRLS

Post by Fran17 »

GideaParkMum wrote:I have had some people ask me if DD is going to Westcliff because she didn't get into Chelmsford and that maybe I should try and put her on the waiting list! I find this statement so annoying.
We live roughly the same distance away from the Chelmsford schools and Southend schools. We chose SHSB for our sons because we felt it suited them best. I too have had many people over the years ask if my DSs didn't manage to get into KEGS. They could have gone there if they had wanted to, but they didn't. SHSB was their top choice on the CAF forms. It used to frustrate me but now I just tend to smile and ignore it. We are very happy with our choice so it doesn't matter what other people think.

All of the Essex grammars are excellent. I know children who attend the Chelmsford and Southend grammars and without exception they are all very happy and are doing well.

I have friends with daughters at CCHS and WHSG they are thrilled with the schools. I agree with the advice given by the other posters, visit the schools with your daughter and decide which one you simply like the best. Try not to worry about league tables.

Good luck.
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

Jojo15 wrote:Just to add a curve ball into the mix, Chelmsford County High may have been afforded this reputation as a high achieving school based on past gcse / gce league tables. However, schools like Colchester County High have quietly positioned themselves up the league. It kind of reminds me of the time Sainsbury were number 1 grocery store till they were overtaken by Tesco. I believe all the grammar schools in Essex are exceptional and have qualities that will attract different students (one man’s food is another’s poison, so the saying goes)

Jojo15 :D
At least whichever way you go, it won't be Kwiksave
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

A few things to add. We viewed all the Essex girls gs. Our dd felt that she preferred Colchester & Westcliff. It was just the 'feel' of the places. I was particularly impressed with the HT of Westcliff's speech & how much effort they put into pastoral care. As someone else pointed out Chelmsford is on a very cramped site. We actually go there every week for dd's swimming lesson so really have spent alot of time there.

At the Westcliff open evening OH was talking to a parent very involved with school life. They had daughters at both Chelmsford & Westcliff. He said his daughters are very different creatures. One was suited to the, in his opinion, very pressured, academic environment of Chelmsford & the other was not & Westcliff suited her very well. Their actual words about Chelmsford were 'shark pool' & that has always stuck with me & obviously that was their opinion not mine. They were Essex residents but both girls had to commute to their respective schools.

Just after the 11+ I was talking to a young woman training to be an OT. She was a former Chelmsford pupil. She didn't speak too highly of her former school & said it was all about exam pressure & Oxbridge, Oxbridge, Oxbridge & with little interest shown if that's not where you wanted to go.

Because Chelmsford's entrance score is higher there is also no point placing it beneath Colchester or Southends schools if you want to be in the running for a place.

Dont' know if that helps at all.
Clarabelle
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Ooooh, what's an OT? Offal taster, old trout and orang-utan tickler fit but I suspect it's something different! :wink:
ahap

Post by ahap »

I put the nearest to the furthest from my home in my CAF because they are all excellent schools. You also can put the easiest to get to by public transport to the hardest just in case you miss your school bus. :)
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

First-timer wrote:Ooooh, what's an OT? Offal taster, old trout and orang-utan tickler fit but I suspect it's something different! :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

GideaParkMum wrote: I have noticed that with some people, there is this superior mindsight that Southend and Westcliff schools are inferior to Chelmsford and that kids that choose these schools are either not sure of passing 11+ or too scared that they wont get into CCHS so they choose the Southend schools. This assumption is untrue and I believe all the Essex Grammar schools are very good.
I have had some people ask me if DD is going to Westcliff because she didn't get into Chelmsford and that maybe I should try and put her on the waiting list! I find this statement so annoying.
Well said! I also find this attitude very annoying and am trying to take Fran17's approach of smiling and ignoring it. :wink:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

First-timer wrote:Ooooh, what's an OT? Offal taster, old trout and orang-utan tickler fit but I suspect it's something different! :wink:
I'm guessing Occupational Therapist? If so, it saddens me that anyone making that career choice should feel that their school had lost interest in them as a result.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
moved

Post by moved »

DD is at CCHS, we chose the Chelmsford grammars over the Southend grammars, despite living in Southend at the time, because the schools offered the curricular opportunities that we wanted. Academic excellence is both admired and rewarded at CCHS. DD was told that "we are all geeks and proud" by a teacher when she first joined. It really helped her to feel that she was in the right place. It is hard to be bright, want to work and always strive for the best.

On a particular note, I felt Latin was an important opportunity for DC and I am pleased they have had that choice.

There is a different feel about the schools, CCHS do not seem to make the same effort as SHSG on open day, but their pastoral care and academic instruction have been excellent from what I have seen.

Both of the Chelmsford grammars offer a wide range of activities on top of the academic life and neither of my children feel that they are in an exams factory. KEGS is very laid back with its boys, but also supportive when one such as mine is on the lazy side.

Have a look at the schools, the towns and surrounding villages, make sure you look at the schools on a normal day too.
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

:lol:
ToadMum wrote:I'm guessing Occupational Therapist? If so, it saddens me that anyone making that career choice should feel that their school had lost interest in them as a result.
Yes Toadmum you are correct! :wink:
Clarabelle
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now