KEGS vs CRGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Clarabelle

Re: KEGS vs CRGS

Post by Clarabelle »

onlyme wrote:
KEGS & CRGS are both excellent schools... If I had lived nearer to CRGS I would have been delighted for my ds to attend there. However I live nearer to KEGS & I am equally delighted that my ds secured a place there. I have always thought KEGS & CRGS, along with the Southend GS, were all great schools & I am not sure where the view that one is superior to the other came from but it simply is not true.
On a final note I can honestly say I have never heard such comments made by KEGS parents/pupils... I have only actually become aware of this view from visiting this site :o
HTH
My view is that this isn't the feeling of local parents but rather that of non Essex residents who either haven't researched all the Essex gs (because Kegs is a more convenient commute) or are taking a hearsay/historical stance. Hopefully we won't hear anymore of this attitude if the admissions changes go through. All Chelmsford parents I know whose dc's have secured a gs place are grateful for that regardless of location.
Clarabelle
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

KEGS for us would have increased the journey time by 20 minutes for my DS. CRGS is closer. Our choice had nothing to do with which school was more superior.

I think the pleasure gained in your child achieving a GS place, far outweighs (for me personally), any idea about which GS is the best! Personal preference for your DS is far more important. Visit both schools and make your own decision. :)
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Clarabelle, this attitude exists in Essex too. Where I live is roughly equidistant between the schools. Parents face a genuine choice. Word in the playground is that KEGS is better. Same goes for ChCHS. There is genuine surprise and possibly some disbelief when I say that we put CRGS as first choice. I'll more than likely put CoCHS as first choice for my DD too. For us, the deciding factor was transport as we are only a five minute walk from the bus stop for the Consortium bus serving Colchester. I would have been delighted with a place at either school.
slush

Post by slush »

KEGS is not any better than CRGS. It is a misconception entirely on the peoples part. It has only been more difficult to get into KEGS due to the required higher pass mark because of the number of applicants for KEGS. The exam papers for KEGS and CRGS entries are the same. My ds ranked high to get into both but we put CRGS as our first choice as that was our preferred school after visiting both.
3rdtimelucky

Post by 3rdtimelucky »

Kegs has confirmed today that it will adopt a 12.5 mile priority radius for 90 boys. the remaining 22 places will be offered regardless of location. They have stated the measuring point for home school distance will be within the school grounds and they have dropped the musical aptitude suggestion. Hopefully this will lead to a decrease in competition (they have also said that this year 57% of pupils have come from outside 12.5 mile radius, as opposed to 43% last year!!) and you may see less of the comments regarding which school is better if kegs competition becomes more local again and kegs and crgs are then equally difficult to get into.
ivory

Post by ivory »

Hi, we viewed both CRGS & KEGS before entering the 11 plus. My ds preferred KEGS and I preferred CRGS. We listened to the advice of the headmasters and put ds 1st choice as the closest school? Ds starts at KEGS in September. No superiority....but based on travel time as both schools appeared excellent.
My only concern is whether ds will have any local friends at the same school. I agree with the 12.5 mile radius, but I do understand the disappointment of others who will not fall within the catchment area next year.
There are just not enough GS's.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now