Travel from Chelmsford to Colchester (CRGS)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Patipriya

Travel from Chelmsford to Colchester (CRGS)

Post by Patipriya »

My DS will start going from Chelmsford to Colchester this year. It will be great help if anyone can provide answer to following:

1. Is there any PRIVATE COACH from Chelmsford to Colchester school (CRGS)?
2. Are there other DS using train? How is their experience?
3. Experience between First Bus (525) Vs Stephen (676) if taking bus near station?
chanceinnorfolk

Re: Travel from Chelmsford to Colchester (CRGS)

Post by chanceinnorfolk »

Hi patipriya, I have pm'd you but thought it a good idea to put the link on here

http://www.csse.org.uk/transport.htm

If my son misses the contract bus because of clubs or the lure of the tesco's sweet counter he gets on the 71 bus back to chelmsford which departs from outside CRGS.

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/essex
HPDad

Post by HPDad »

There is a private coach service run by Chelmsford Taxibus. I'm not sure where it starts though so you would need to call them on 01245350350.
Patipriya

Post by Patipriya »

Hi HPDad & Chanceinnorfolk, Thanks a lot for information.
moved

Post by moved »

Hello, I am Moved's daughter and I will be going to CRGS in September, I plan to get the 525 First bus from Chelmsford. Does anyone know how to get bus tickets?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

moved wrote:Hello, I am Moved's daughter and I will be going to CRGS in September, I plan to get the 525 First bus from Chelmsford. Does anyone know how to get bus tickets?
There is an information office in the bus station (or at least there was when I last looked - admittedly over a year ago - the equivalent in the Travel Centre in Southend sells season tickets so possibly the Chelmsford one does, too. Arriva do 'm-tickets' (tickets on your mobile) and their tickets can be bought via Paypoint in local shops, but I don't know about First.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
djy76

Post by djy76 »

Hi Moved's daughter,

The 525 bus tickets can be bought through CSSE - who are closed during the holiday except for a short while around GCSE results time; try their website for details..

djy
moved

Post by moved »

Thanks for the help. She will ring the CSSE on GCSE results day and buy her ticket then.

Moved again!
jbmum

Post by jbmum »

it may be worth having a back up option as the 525 usually has a waiting list. That said, the service has been so bad this year some parents may have decided to give up on it.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

The DC's I know that are hoping to do the journey in the other direction (for sixth form), are all intending to use the train.
Public transport gives more flexability than the school contract buses, especially when the DC are older and more independent. DS1 who was at CRGS liked the ability to go into Colchester to shop, go to the library or (when Dr Jones nagged) get his hair cut, before coming home, which he could easily do travelling on public buses. I can understand though, that for year 7s the contract buses may seem an easier/ safer option.