Maths question-would the CSSE paper ask for this?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Manana

Maths question-would the CSSE paper ask for this?

Post by Manana »

I am just reading through the Maths paper I am going to get DS to do tomorrow and was surprised by one of the answers. The question is from the Bond 10-11 papers; I've paraphrased it below.

The scores from a mental maths tests are as follows.
Peter 17
Cressida 16
Petra 18
Greg 16
Helen 17

What is the mean?
What is the mean if Peter's test was wrongly marked and he should have got 16, not 17.

I worked these out (on paper) as 16 r4 and 16 r 3, but the answers are given as decimals-16.8 and 16.6.

Would decimals rather than remainders expected as answers in the Essex paper and if so, can someone explain how to teach this to DS!?
Guest55

Re: Maths question-would the CSSE paper ask for this?

Post by Guest55 »

I can't answer whether it would be in the Essex test but I'd expect children to know that 4/5 = 0.8 and 3/5 = 0.6

They don't need long division to do this.
Long Journey

Post by Long Journey »

They do learn decimals from Year 4 don't they? I've seen loads of questions requiring working with decimals, I don't think it's unusual.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

There are certainly plenty of decimals dotted around the average CSSE maths paper, if you pardon the pun; seriously, though, you can't have a "remainder" in a "mean" calculation.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
moved

Post by moved »

Decimals are very intuitive if you use money. The total amount is in pounds, but you would need the answer in pounds and pence. A remainder is also the fraction left, so remainder 4 is the same as 4/5 as you were dividing the total by 5.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

moved wrote:Decimals are very intuitive if you use money. The total amount is in pounds, but you would need the answer in pounds and pence. A remainder is also the fraction left, so remainder 4 is the same as 4/5 as you were dividing the total by 5.

agreed - very intuitive if you use the money analogy, as moved said best to turn the remainder into pence.... other option is the giant birthday cake divided up into different sections - at least this how my kids did it in year 2.

wasn't so easy in the dark ages - some of us had to do the 11 plus when it £sd... nifty on the 12 and 20 times tables..
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now