Verbal Reasoning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
seriousmum

Verbal Reasoning

Post by seriousmum »

Two silly questions from a first timer: does the bright sparks series contain all 21 types in their entirety or just a majority of them; and is "rearranging words in alphabetical order" one of the 21 types? I seem to recall my son doing a lot of these in his bond VR a while back but they seem to be excluded from most of the VR books we have used recently.

Much obliged to this brilliant forum!
Chai

Re: Verbal Reasoning

Post by Chai »

Bright Sparks contains all 21 types. Do use these papers. There are 8 of them. MCQ format can be bought in this site's bookshop

Re-arranging words is not part of the 21 types stable. I tend to think it is useful practising these extra types - if anything, to take out the boredom of doing 21 types constantly.
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

Thank you so much for clearing that Chai. It took me about 5 mins to work out what MCQ meant!!!!!!
I'm clearly a novice.
toolate

Post by toolate »

There seems to be a 3rd Bright sparks book with a blue cover - in the shop on this site. Do we need to do that one too?
Chai

Post by Chai »

I think you are referring to this one?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... ndard.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the standard format and it not needed. Just get the other two Multiple Choice Format ones. If you wanted your child to do the tests as Standard, then simply remove the Multiple Choice Marking Sheets.

You could, sometimes for corrections, just to make it tougher, make your child re-do the tests as standard formats. The children must still get used to the Multiple Choice Formats as there are lots of short cuts they can take using the Multiple Choice Sheets and it helps to do the test in the format it is set in the exam.
toolate

Post by toolate »

Thanks Chai for clearing that up. Every time I feel like I have the correct VR order/source sorted out, it seems as though another one pops up.
Chai

Post by Chai »

There are many papers out there. Just make sure your child does the corrections and understands what went wrong. It is better to have understood and learned from mistakes than to move on doing paper after paper.

I got my DD a tiny notebook and she wrote down the vocabulary that she was not familiar with from the papers. This helped.

Good luck. I hope all goes well for you and your child.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now