Which Southend primary schools better prepare for 11plus?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
thankgoditsover

Re: Which Southend primary schools better prepare for 11plus

Post by thankgoditsover »

sisterofgloucestermum wrote:Surely catchment and feeder schools are the same thing? Certain primary schools 'feed' to the secondary schools...because they are 'in catchment'.
Well not really, Westwood actually sits in Deanes catchment area but alot of the children live in King John catchment. Hadleigh Juniors children live in either Deanes or King John catchment - school is placed in Deanes catchment. Kents Hill School children live in King John or Appleton catchment mainly. I think Holy Family in Benfleet IS a feeder school to St Bernards in Westcliff, though I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :D
sisterofgloucestermum

Post by sisterofgloucestermum »

TBH I don't understand all this splitting hairs over a point. It's not something I buy into tbh. I hope the original poster has the info she needs to make her choice.
shesrightyouknow

Post by shesrightyouknow »

I wouldn't say it was a case of splitting hairs at all.......just because a primary school is in catchment for a certain secondary school, that doesn't guarantee a child a place if they don't LIVE in the catchment area of the secondary school!!
shesrightyouknow

Post by shesrightyouknow »

Caroline B wrote:Hello

We are about to move into Southend from London, partly motivated by the grammar system, partly by family and some other stuff too. My son is currently in a CofE primary in London and my daughter will be 4 next summer , so we'll be applying for school later this year.

I have visited St Marys Prittlewell primary recently and really liked what I saw, I was told they also do optional VR in the mornings before school and link with the grammar schools sometimes, we also like the fact its a church school. It was therefore my plan to get my son into this school. Recently in March their OFSTED however has been disappointingly satisfactory, whereas it was good in 2006 which I'm shocked about. Does anyone have a view or know anything about this, or the school generally? I'm waiting to speak to someone there to see what their explanation is for the poor OFSTED.

I know there are outstanding schools across Southend, but apart from the house prices around those catchments, I really would like to send my kids to St Marys, and then hopefully onto grammar. This issue may really sway where we buy a house so any comments appreciated! :)

Thanks, Caroline

Personally, I would be looking VERY carefully at the Secondary Schools catchment areas before I moved house especially if I were considering a move to Southend. You need to take into account which Secondary School you would be happy with if your child didn't pass the 11+. St Mary's isn't as good as it was in the past and I believe that the Secondary School catchment for that particular area is Chase High, again, not a very good school. If I were you, I'd be looking slightly further afield, such as Benfleet, Rayleigh, Hockley where the Secondary Schools are much better than the ones in Southend (excluding the Grammar Schools)
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

In choosing a school I would prioritise the things that you will have no control over.

The first thing to consider is the atmosphere and all round education at the primary so your DC will be happy and progress. You need to get into a school that does well on these, as you can't change influence them.

The next thing is that you need to be somewhere that will give you a decent fall back position for secondary school if your DC doesn't make the grammar, unless you can pay for an independent school. That is outside your control unless you live in the right catchment.

If that results in going to a primary that also prepares well for the 11 plus, great, but if not, you can do the prep or get a tutor - that's the one thing you can influence.
sisterofgloucestermum

Post by sisterofgloucestermum »

shesrightyouknow wrote:I wouldn't say it was a case of splitting hairs at all.......just because a primary school is in catchment for a certain secondary school, that doesn't guarantee a child a place if they don't LIVE in the catchment area of the secondary school!!
Personally this is why I am wary of using this forum on a more regualar basis. I think your reply comes across as rather patronising and quite unpleasant.
moved

Post by moved »

Sorry you don't like the forum much. Most posters offer well thought through advice and opinions and try to help those who are less informed.
Manana

Post by Manana »

moved wrote:Sorry you don't like the forum much. Most posters offer well thought through advice and opinions and try to help those who are less informed.
Can I just say that I agree with Moved's post wholeheartedly. This forum has been an absolute Godsend for me and has advised me (and put me straight) on all manner of 11+ things. I know it gets a very bad press on certain (no names mentioned) parenting forums, but I think it's brilliant.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now