VR Practice papers for Essex

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

milada

VR Practice papers for Essex

Post by milada »

Last edited by milada on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mclm

Re: VR Practice papers for Essex

Post by mclm »

Hi Milada,

Unfortunately none of us ever get to see the actual VR papers Essex use so difficult to tell. Some of those on here that tutor might be able to provide more guidance, but I would suggest being over prepared is better than under, particularly as Essex seem to change format/focus every few years so you cannot predict what is going to come up.
Also, VR is 50% of the marks and 1 or 2 questions right or wrong can make all the difference in placings.
GL Assessment are also quite good for practise.

Good luck.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Hello,

The VR paper is currently written by GL assessment so will cover the 21 types of questions as listed :

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... tion-types

The suitable papers according to one of our experts (I have cut and passed this list) are:

21 type VR papers:
In ascending order of difficulty:

IPS
Letts
Learning Labs
Lucky Gecko
Susan Daughtrey
GL Assessment
Walsh

(I seem to think some people have said only some of the Susan Daughtrey are suitable so you may need to be careful there)

The maths and English papers are written by teachers at one of the schools so are a lot more "hit and miss" and certainly have changed significantly recently. The Bond assessment papers are however generally considered useful for maths and English (not VR).

Assuming you are looking at 2014 entry then I would keep a close eye on the CSSE site as when dates changed for this year a sentence appeared that says :
There is no change to the content or format of the test papers this year.
(eg 2013 entry) ? does this mean they are planning a change after that?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Minesatea wrote:(I seem to think some people have said only some of the Susan Daughtrey are suitable so you may need to be careful there)
the SD books 1 - 4 cover around 35+ types so you may not need some of them
moved

Post by moved »

The Bright Sparks series by Susan Daughtrey cover the correct question types in multiple choice format.

I would also recommend the Tutors papers, 12 in all, as they follow both timing and format.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/s ... rch&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
milada

Post by milada »

Last edited by milada on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aang

Post by aang »

According to CSSE, most of the questions in the English and Maths paper are already covered within the primary school curriculum. However the VR questions and techniques are not covered within the curriculum and many schools provide no/limited assistance so the onus is on the tutor.

The reality is that for the past two years the English papers require more advanced knowledge than that covered in primary schools. Scores above 60% in the English paper in the last two years would be a good score.

There are plenty of past papers for English and Maths by GL, Letts and Bond. Just make sure you choose the non multiple choice ones, and be warned the English paper in Essex 11+ may be much harder ;-)
milada

Post by milada »