Essex 11+ Exam Sept 2012 (Entry 2013)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bravado

Re: Essex 11+ Exam Sept 2012 (Entry 2013)

Post by bravado »

First-timer wrote:Oh, you're not being dense - the whole thing is clear as mud! The agonising wait between November and March has increased by two months.

It should be easier to gauge in subsequent years once the catchment changes have bedded in.
Thanks!
I thought was beginning to get it all sorted in some semblance of understanding...and now I find myself back to square one lol!

As for the wait...all this gives me flashbacks to when I had to train for and sit the eleven plus, with the interminable wait for results in March! :lol: I don't know what's worse - the stress levels when you do it yourself or the stress brought on by putting your children through it lol! :?
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

Are they not going to give the actual marks per subject VR 65/80 etc as well? That would help as we have an idea from previous years average percentages achieved to obtain a place.
As mentioned the change in catchment areas is going to make a difference but also the fact that the exam is 2 months earlier will also lower the marks overall.
It will be easier for the parents in the Southend catchment, if their DC scores more than 303 they should be okay for a place at one of the Southend grammars.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Previous years' average percentages are meaningful within the context of previous years' admission arrangements. If, say, 80% used to be required to be fairly certain of a Chelmsford place, it cannot be assumed that the same will apply this year. Those OOC may need considerably higher scores. Any referral to previous cut off scores, whether it be a percentage or standardised score is of limited use to this year's applicants. For some, the raw scores will be so fabulous that they can look forward to March with confidence. For others they will be enough to stop them applying to GS. I can't help feeling that most of us will have something inbetween and a horrendously long wait to discover what the score translates to in real terms.
toolate

Post by toolate »

Will they give ranking? And will that be broken out by gender?
Whilst not providing any clarity - unless you are very high or low - it would give you a picture of sorts...
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I don't think they will give a ranking as this has always been school specific in the past. Overall ranking is unlikely to be any more helpful than the score and not all the schools served by the CSSE exam are single gender so ranking girls and boys separately would confuse for the mixed schools.
Manana

Post by Manana »

kaynor wrote:It will be easier for the parents in the Southend catchment, if their DC scores more than 303 they should be okay for a place at one of the Southend grammars.
We are in the (old!) catchment and have been told this is not the case. Our head said you might get 304/305/306 and might still not get a place as the increased number of *new* Southend catchment children applying will probably bump the passmark up.
panichead

Post by panichead »

Hmm, interesting comment as I have been told the complete opposite by the heads of the Southend grammars and the head at my dd's primary ! Only time will tell I guess !
Manana

Post by Manana »

panichead wrote:Hmm, interesting comment as I have been told the complete opposite by the heads of the Southend grammars and the head at my dd's primary ! Only time will tell I guess !
The opposite? That the passmark would be lower or that the changes would have no impact?

It's so confusing!
panichead

Post by panichead »

Passmark will be same for in catchment 303. Apparently, even with the extended catchment area those who gain the magic number will all gain a place. The consortium have extensively studied any affect on those children who were in the old catchment area and they stress it will be zero difference! However, having a child who was until recently in the old catchment area I'm not convinced.
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

Extracted from the Southend consultation document

Will this make it harder for local children to enter our Grammar schools?
No; figures for previous years say not. The same standard of entry will apply. The four Grammar schools will be reserving 470 places for the priority zone. In recent years, the total number of pupils attending from Southend primary schools has been well below this number.

From memory only Southend Boys have ever got near to their in catchment allowance.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now