Still a bit confused!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kfer

Still a bit confused!!

Post by kfer »

I still can't quite get my head around the selection process. If for example we put KEGS as our second choice and our DS got a higher score than someone who put it as a first choice who would get a place? Just starting to seriously think about which school and their order for the application form......

Is anyone else looking forward to 23rd September!! :lol:
ahap

Re: Still a bit confused!!

Post by ahap »

The person who puts KEGS first will get it.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

kfer wrote:I still can't quite get my head around the selection process. If for example we put KEGS as our second choice and our DS got a higher score than someone who put it as a first choice who would get a place? Just starting to seriously think about which school and their order for the application form......

Is anyone else looking forward to 23rd September!! :lol:
It depends. If both DC get a high enough mark they would both get a place but only if your DS didn't meet the requirements of his first choice school. If your DS did meet the requirements of the first choice school then he wouldn't even be considered for his other lower choices. If your DS didn't qualify for his first choice but did qualify for KEGS then he would be awarded KEGS before the lower scoring boy who placed it as first choice.

It's really important to put your choices in the order in which you want them. You don't get extra credit for putting a school as first choice. Each choice is treated as though it is your first choice (at the point at which it is being considered) and you will be awarded the highest priority place for which you meet the admissions criteria.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Well put First timer.

Kfer if you want KEGS, put KEGS first than any others, because like FT said if you qualify for your first choice you won't get your 2nd choice.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Manana

Post by Manana »

ahap wrote:Well put First timer.

Kfer if you want KEGS, put KEGS first than any others, because like FT said if you qualify for your first choice you won't get your 2nd choice.
Does anyone know how it all works with regards to oversubscribed non-selective schools? If eg (thinking of Southend schools) you put down Eastwood first on your list as you would prefer it, but it is extremely popular, then put eg Greensward as second place, but neither are actually your catchment secondary.

Might it be that when the first lot of allocations were done, you wouldn't get Eastwood as it was too popular, but you wouldn't get Greensward either as all their places had already been filled up by people who put it down first?

Does that make sense?!
ahap

Post by ahap »

I don't know about these schools, but if neither of those schools are your catchment or don't fulfill their admission criteria and are oversubscribed with pupils who put those schools in their CAF who are in catchment or qualify according to their admission criteria, then it is unlikely a place will be given.
Manana

Post by Manana »

ahap wrote:I don't know about these schools, but if neither of those schools are your catchment or don't fulfill their admission criteria and are oversubscribed with pupils who put those schools in their CAF who are in catchment or qualify according to their admission criteria, then it is unlikely a place will be given.
I think there is a reasonable chance the second school could be given. I just wonder if by putting the v oversubscribed school first (as that is preferred), you could jeopardise your chance with the second school!?
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Manana wrote: Does anyone know how it all works with regards to oversubscribed non-selective schools? If eg (thinking of Southend schools) you put down Eastwood first on your list as you would prefer it, but it is extremely popular, then put eg Greensward as second place, but neither are actually your catchment secondary.

Might it be that when the first lot of allocations were done, you wouldn't get Eastwood as it was too popular, but you wouldn't get Greensward either as all their places had already been filled up by people who put it down first?

Does that make sense?!
It's all done by computer and there is no first round of allocations. It's not a case of all first choices being considered and then all second choices and so on. I don't know exactly how it works. I imagine your 5/6 choices are scored by distance/11+ score and that these scores are compared with those of other DC who have put those schools somewhere on their forms. This then gives each school an order of merit. Say each school had 100 places available and your DC ranks 160, 210, 120, 78 and 90 for the schools chosen. You would be awarded the third school. This is very crude, of course, as it doesn't allow for the fact that you could be given school one if 60 higher ranked DC had been allocated other higher choice (for them) schools. It's more complex than my attempt at understanding the process but basically there is no advantage gained by parent Smith putting a school first while parent Jones puts it second.

The new admissions booklet is now online for Essex for anyone who's interested. New features of the website include a catchment area postcode checker and a Chelmsford GS catchment checker too.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Durr... I meant the fourth school, not the third!
ahap

Post by ahap »

As far as I know, if you don't meet the admission criteria of your first choice and you don't get a place then your 2nd choice becomes your first and if you meet their admission criteria then, a place will be given, because the schools don't know which order you have put them in your CAF. It is the LA which does that.

If you want a GS please put that as your 1st choice. Put your schools in the order you prefer.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Perhaps someone GREEN can come to the rescue or First-timer?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now