Views on school homework up to the 11 plus?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
First-timer

Re: Views on school homework up to the 11 plus?

Post by First-timer »

That does sound like quite a lot of work but it's only for another two and a bit weeks. Has your tutor always given an hour a day's worth of homework? We have tried to fit in half an hour of work each school morning, but life often gets in the way. I reckon in a good week we've done two hours of work and there have been weeks during the holidays when we have done absolutely nothing. It sounds like you're well prepared so I don't think school homework will spoil your DC's prep.

Good luck!
jojo1

Post by jojo1 »

Hi first timer, yes my sons tutor has always given lots of homework but he does have a good track record. We'll wait and see if all the extra studies has paid off soon enough. We went away to Spain in the holiday for 3 weeks and he just did 1/2 hour a day and some days none at all.
My ds's quite relaxed about it all as the dates looming(I'm getting a little stressed!), he has a mock test this Saturday.
jojo1

Post by jojo1 »

Forgot to add I agree First timer we too have kept up clubs and days/evening out. I have 2 other young children as well so life can't always focus on the 11 plus and it would be a very unhealthy balance for us all.
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

Shame on me .... My youngest DS did not like homework in Year 6. His teacher said to me that she only sets it because it is the law and that she didn't believe in it either! Therefore, most of the time we did not do it. I have no doubt that he will cope with his GS homework. Primary school homework is completely different.

Do what you feel is right jojo1, my DSs have not suffered by not doing a bit of homework.
moved

Post by moved »

In our house DD and I did poor colour-blind DS' coloring in history and geography!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Primary school homework is completely different.
Not in Bucks it isn't - they get Maths and English and a few other subjects around here. Perhaps that why Bucks does so well at KS2? The last 'colouring type' homework my DS got was in Year 2 and he's just left school.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

My DC have never been given homework that involves colouring in. I feel a bit left out...

:lol:
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Our plan B is to continue in the current Indie school so DD will be keeping up with homework and being a model pupil as there is no plan C
heandart is heart

Post by heandart is heart »

Goodness,
An hour a day seems like a lot. I hope I haven't left it too late. we've been supplementing actual bookwork with lots of freerice/ arcademic skillbuilders/ brainexperiment stuff to maintain enthusiasm. DS has been achieving very well in the practice papers and Mocks...I'd hate to think we've missed the boat. you only get one chance.
moved

Post by moved »

DS did virtually no prep, which has been indicative of his general attitude until this summer. You know your son, he can only do the amount of work that suits him.

Some need more, some need less, DD worked really hard and still does. I think we can just do our best to support them.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now