Last chance saloon....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
toolate

Last chance saloon....

Post by toolate »

Ok - we're still not getting there on the English....by a long way...and I am losing several hours sleep in the middle of the night.

At the weekend he thought he'd done really well on a mock - result 52%

Please can anyone give me ANY ONE LITTLE TIP that they have found for their DC for the english exam?
I appreciate we are not going to create a Latin scholar overnight but if there are any thoughts that can get us up by 2-5% it would really help.

Please PM me if you don't want to leave a message on the board.

We are ONLY going for CRGS due to geographical and gender constraints - so not competing for spots in any of the other GS'

Thank you, renaming myself toolittletoolate
kfer

Re: Last chance saloon....

Post by kfer »

I think English is always a weak subject for boys!!

We are concentrating on the punctuation and spelling questions where they can pick up nearly 50% of the marks.

My DS then tends to do the tick box questions beceause he can at least have an educated guess! and leaves the comprehension until last and just does what he can in the time left.

It seems to work as he is definitely scoring better.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Obsessed huttonian

Re: Last chance saloon....

Post by Obsessed huttonian »

Hi there. if its any consolation my DS struggled with English, in particular the comprehension element which was pretty much hit and miss. We focussed on punctuation and word meanings which in 2011 made up approx 50 % of the paper. This along with a few marks from the comprehension element will be enough to get him through as long as Maths and VR are his stronger areas.
Looking at previous years scores (and experience of my own son's scores) a score of 50% is more than sufficient.