Register by 8.30?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Manana

Register by 8.30?

Post by Manana »

The CSSE letter states we must register by 8.30am. I presume that's the latest time, but when's the earliest time? I have no idea what time to arrive! We live extremely close to the school so don't have to drive, but do we think 8am? 8.15? 8.20!?

I'm onto the 'worrying about petty details' stage of panic now. It'll be denial, fear, upset stomach and tears next...!
moved

Re: Register by 8.30?

Post by moved »

We got there a little early for both DC. Had to queue and then wait a little. SHSG took the girls off to wait in a hall together. SHSB let the boys stay with us until they were ready.
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

We arrived at school at 8.00am. Sat in car for 10 minutes and then I walked DS into the rear car park to have a bit of fresh air before he went in. He registered at 8.15 am.
Manana

Post by Manana »

SEP18 wrote:We arrived at school at 8.00am. Sat in car for 10 minutes and then I walked DS into the rear car park to have a bit of fresh air before he went in. He registered at 8.15 am.
Thank you both-that's really helpful. Where do we go in-at the Prittlewell Chase entrance or the Hobleythick Lane one?
moved

Post by moved »

In the main entrance. Cannot remember street names, DS is now in y11 and we moved to Chelmsford three years ago.
JWMUM

Post by JWMUM »

Hi. Anyone got same sort of info re whatbest to do at CRGS? We are going to park and walk but don't want to hang about too much....
2 more sleeps..... :shock: :shock:
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

When my son sat the exam at CRGS three years ago it was a case of drop and go. We were stupidly early and he was one of the first ones to arrive. We handed him over to a group of sixth formers and left. There may have been an option to wait a little longer until there were more boys - I can't remember. DS was happy to be left chatting with the other candidates and sixth formers. I got the distinct impression that I would have cramped his style if I'd tried waiting! In fact, meeting some other boys was part of the experience for him. One of the boys he met on the day ended up in his year at school so he knew someone at the induction day. We had been prepared for some frostiness from other candidates (there is a cracking thread from way back about this) but it just wasn't like that.

The candidates for the second sitting arrived while we waited to collect DS. Drop and go did seem to be the policy. Didn't see any wailers/sobbers, just a few dads giving some last minute coaching. The whole thing was run pretty smoothly. I'm hoping the girls' school is similarly organised this year. :D
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

We were unceremoniously shooed away so there was no time for a proper good bye - possibly a good thing as there could be no wailing, but perhaps prepare yourself and DC for the fact that you do just drop and go
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Colchester girls (2 years ago) had the sittings organised by alphabetical surname. When we arrived the parent dropping off had to sign a piece of paper declaring that their DD was fit and healthy to sit the exam and then we were sent into the canteen where DD had to report to a desk under the appropriate alphabet letter to be labelled and wait. Parents did hang around more than at CRGS.

(However new Headteacher now, so may have changed)
bravado

Post by bravado »

Minesatea wrote:Colchester girls (2 years ago) had the sittings organised by alphabetical surname. When we arrived the parent dropping off had to sign a piece of paper declaring that their DD was fit and healthy to sit the exam and then we were sent into the canteen where DD had to report to a desk under the appropriate alphabet letter to be labelled and wait. Parents did hang around more than at CRGS.

(However new Headteacher now, so may have changed)
That's how it was when DD1 sat it more than 7 years ago. I don't think she wanted me to stay and I seem to recall that I felt it wasn't encouraged - I felt terrible turning my back and leaving :cry: :cry:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now