The reality

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

laluna

The reality

Post by laluna »

I know this is crazy but here I am, the night before, reflecting on all of DD's hard work and wondering how it will be if she doesn't get a place? We are lucky that the alternative state comprehensive is excellent but how do you cope with the competition? Her three best friends from pre school age are sitting tomorrow too for a place at the same school. What if they get in and she doesn't? DD is bright and well prepared but I just don't think it will be enough with the change of catchment and probable increase in competition. We put a brave face on and say, sincerely, how proud we are of their efforts etc but how do you really feel deep down?

No point to my post really. Guess it is all coming to a head.
sian6484

Re: The reality

Post by sian6484 »

What you are feeling is perfectly natural and I sooo understand. I was in this position last year. Fortunately, DD made it and although didn't fly in, seems to be holding her own at Colchester. To be bright and well prepared is as much as you can ask for. Good luck - my thoughts are with you and all who are going through this process. It seems that on the whole, the parents find the whole process harder than the children sitting the exams! But then I guess it's our job to worry! Also, if they tell you afterwards, that a particular paper was difficult, chances are, everyone else thought the same thing. x
moved

Post by moved »

I hope this post will make you feel better.

I know of a huge number of children who failed the 11+ or didn't take it, went to a school for 5 years and got GCSEs that were as good if not better than their peers who went to grammar school. They entered grammar at yr 12. Most schools are enormously pleased to have high attainers, grammars have them by the shed load. Most schools work hard to stretch their high attainers as the teachers love to have an able pupil. Grammars often leave them to their own devices.

Five years on, with friends and parents of pupils on both sides of the fence I wouldn't worry about the 11+ as I did when mine were that age. Easy for me to say I know, but knowing some lovely children who are now in grammar VIth form with 10+ A/A* that failed the 11+ I know it isn't the end of the world if it all goes wrong.

One of my nicest private GCSE pupils was in the SEN group at primary school, he ended up at a grammar for VIth form, having matured a little later and is now at a Russel group uni.

The best will always shine no matter where they are educated.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Wow! here I go again, you have made me emotional there moved what a lovely post. I just dropped my DD at CCHS for her test, went to the roundabout greengrocer bought some sweetcorn for breakfast and some bits and stuff. Sweetcorn on the pan and here I am on the forum.
My DS last year did not make it to a GS he is at first place in the waiting list for a GS. He is going to a lovely local school. Us folks in Essex especially Chelmsford are blessed with some good schools. I know he will do well and he will try again. :)
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

What a fantastic post Moved! I agree wholeheartedly with your comments and have seen it for myself in my own family. My eldest, non-grammar school son going off to a very good uni this week.

Good luck to everyone whose children are sitting the exam in Essex today. Remember Moved's wise words. Grammar really isn't the be all and end all.

Good luck to your DD ahap. As for your DS I am sure he will thrive at his new school.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Hmm-I do agree with Moved's comments but would probably feel more relaxed about it all if our catchment school hadn't had 3 name changes since I've lived here and was only getting 14% of children 5a-cs at GCSE. I know people say kids will do well anywhere-but I really don't think he'll do well there.

Well-I reckon the English is now done and a good chunk of the maths!! I'm now off to clean out the fridge to take my mind off it all!
ahap

Post by ahap »

Thanks Fran17.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Araucana

Post by Araucana »

sian6484 wrote: It seems that on the whole, the parents find the whole process harder than the children sitting the exams!
Oh boy do I agree with that - well the process anyway, I'm sure they are all working hard this morning.