Yesterday's CSSE Exams 2012

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Re: Yesterday's CSSE Exams 2012

Post by moved »

ahap wrote:Can a mod merge the 2 threads please.

Difficulty and Yesterday's CSSE Exams 2012.
Moved from original position and merged.
RGA

Post by RGA »

[quote=" my DD has requested a post 11+ bonfire of her books!! :lol:
[/quote]

We have literally just done this, although it was taking so long we did end up consigning a lot of the papers to the recycling bin. My DD even toasted marshmallows on the fire!

My DD said she ran out of time on the verbal reasoning and had to guess at quite a lot. She didn't comment specifically on the questions being hard, only that her brain was so tired after the first two papers that she couldn't work quickly enough on the verbal reasoning.

The day before she came home from school in zombielike state, saying they had done five hours of standardised testing. I don't know if that contributed to her mental tiredness on Saturday or whether they generally start out with fresh brains after a night's sleep. I'm left with a slight nagging doubt and wish I had kept her home on Friday like some other parents we know did with their kids.

She didn't think the maths paper was that bad, which is a little worrying is usually that is the hardest paper for her. Then again that is probably what tired her out for the verbal reasoning.
toolate

Post by toolate »

My DS felt confident about the maths, thought the English questions were tricky (although the passage was, at least, comprehensible). BUT the VR ----had to guess Some questions because he ran out of time....I am gutted, especially because he said he had to go to the loo.....aargh, most critical pee ever????? Still, what can you say? He said needing to go was distracting him, so he thought he'd better.....

On the content of VR - he said it was much more time consuming than usual, with none of the 'easy' sections....

Feeling rather low now....

Edited by mod to remove content
skenty

Post by skenty »

My DS found that the VR was hard and time consuming - have read a few similar comments so now feel better for her. They may have to adjust scores if all found it hard. She did feel OK about the English and Maths so maybe all not lost but feel gutted today
moved

Post by moved »

DD helped at CCHS; she was surprised how many girls went to the loo during the exam. It would seem that the stress of the exam has its effects on their bladders!
DBSUK_MOM

Post by DBSUK_MOM »

In response to the previous posts, my daughter also did really well in the mock tests. She used to get really high scores in the VERBAL REASONING. I was really disappointed when i found out about the difficult VERBAL REASONING paper. :( But after reading all your posts, I was relieved. Thanks for sharing your child's experience. :D :)
Hamilton12

Post by Hamilton12 »

very interesting to hear the different comments regarding the difficulty of certain papers! Does anybody know what the lowest percentage or weighted score was of the boy who gained a place at CRGS :?: 2012 entry. Just interested to see what to compare with once I have results for my DS x
crgsmum

Post by crgsmum »

PM Suresh, his son was first on the waiting list and then won at appeal so he should be able to give you score.
Hamilton12

Post by Hamilton12 »

Many thanks for that. I only ask as I have heard that the CSSE will use the lowest score from last year to base this years pass mark on. If I know what the lowest score for last year is I will go on the basis that my Ds will need to obtain around that figure x
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Hamilton12 wrote:Many thanks for that. I only ask as I have heard that the CSSE will use the lowest score from last year to base this years pass mark on. If I know what the lowest score for last year is I will go on the basis that my Ds will need to obtain around that figure x
Hi Hamilton12, last year's scores are only an indication, they are not used by the CSSE to base this year's pass marks on. The pass mark is set by the applicants for each school and varies year on year. We may see some shifts this year because some of the schools have changed their priority admissions areas.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now