speaking to lots of parents who are angry as VR so hard

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Re: speaking to lots of parents who are angry as VR so hard

Post by moved »

Every year, just about, children find the VR hard, but it is the most predictable of the three exams and the easiest to train for. Most children have good technique by the time they sit the exam, but they are shattered by the time they get to the third exam. This often makes them feel as though they have performed worse than they have. If they are used to getting 78 on a paper with 10 mins to spare it can be tough for them not to finish or only just finish. Feeling a bit deflated is quite normal. It is why I tell my pupils that once it is over it is over! I also reassure them that everyone feels a bit flat afterwards, all the training, the adrenaline in the exam, etc.

The bottom line is that our children often have no idea how they have done.
skenty

Post by skenty »

Wise words Moved... I am now attempting to de-stress regarding the 11+ and what will be will be. I agree that trying to predict outcomes is pointless and will eventually drive me mad! I'm glad we only have to wait till the 15th - and remember the awful wait with my elder DD till March. My DD may still be in with a chance - she should get 50% in VR and may pick up the slack in English and Maths. The important thing for us now is promoting "Plan B" and making her feel good about whatever school she will be offered in March...
Manana

Post by Manana »

skenty wrote:Wise words Moved... I am now attempting to de-stress regarding the 11+ and what will be will be. I agree that trying to predict outcomes is pointless and will eventually drive me mad! I'm glad we only have to wait till the 15th - and remember the awful wait with my elder DD till March. My DD may still be in with a chance - she should get 50% in VR and may pick up the slack in English and Maths. The important thing for us now is promoting "Plan B" and making her feel good about whatever school she will be offered in March...
I agree with you totally; it's pointless to predict outcomes. Such sensible thinking hasn't stopped me reading every single page of the March 2012 scores though and trying to work out what standardised score DS might end up with :lol:

I think I shall be totally grey by the 15th October!!
CardyMow

Post by CardyMow »

My son sat the alternate sitting, having been quite ill with strep throat for the first sitting. He still wasn't back to full health, so I expect that will have some bearing on his marks. :(

He said he did all but two questions in the VR, was very confident about it, had to guess the last two as he was running out of time. He said the VR wasn't as hard as the English paper, which surprised me, as he usually does better in English.

Oh well, wait and see is all we can do now!
Manana

Post by Manana »

CardyMow wrote:My son sat the alternate sitting, having been quite ill with strep throat for the first sitting. He still wasn't back to full health, so I expect that will have some bearing on his marks. :(

He said he did all but two questions in the VR, was very confident about it, had to guess the last two as he was running out of time. He said the VR wasn't as hard as the English paper, which surprised me, as he usually does better in English.

Oh well, wait and see is all we can do now!
My DS said the same-that the English was harder than the other two, though I presume your DS had a different paper? All of his friends comfortingly said that the Maths paper was far harder though, which really helps-not!! He said the VR was ok and everyone else said that was hard too.

I am just torturing myself now by worrying-please hurry up, Monday! Also-please be useful!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now