9 sleeps to go!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

purplegirl

Re: 9 sleeps to go!!

Post by purplegirl »

I know exactly what you mean about planning a back up school. You feel like you are almost acknowledging that your child hasn't got a place at GS. Problem is that on the 15th I don't know if we're going to be told enough info to know if your child will realistically have a place. So I feel its only sensible to plan for the worst and hope for the best.
I've got a couple of back ups, one we are out of catchment (so very little hope of that), another she had to do an assessment for (just heard she has passed the assessment, but the school is not giving a ranking order, so no guarantee of a place, depends how good the other candidates are; so again we play the waiting game) and final choice of a back up is the nearest comp which has "potential" but I cann't say I really want her to go there. DD has looked round all the schools and is reasonably happy with all of them.
So now we just have to wait, I'm hoping for good news on the 15th, but I honestly think I'll probably have to wait until March to know exactly whats happening. :roll:
skenty

Post by skenty »

this time next week we'll all be going slightly mad....
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS2 is taking the 11+ next year, so am all agog to see how this year's results are reported!

For those with DDs, just be glad that you are not in Plymouth:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=28013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
toolate

Post by toolate »

Thanks Toad Mum for posting that Plymouth thread, but isn't that exactly the boat that we'll be in in a week's time? We'll have a score and know historical cutoffs - but for the vast majority we just won't be able to tell our kids whether they passed or failed.
FOR ANOTHER 5 MONTHS....
Manana

Post by Manana »

toolate wrote:Thanks Toad Mum for posting that Plymouth thread, but isn't that exactly the boat that we'll be in in a week's time? We'll have a score and know historical cutoffs - but for the vast majority we just won't be able to tell our kids whether they passed or failed.
FOR ANOTHER 5 MONTHS....

Oh my goodness! I have just read that thread and wish that I hadn't! I have a horrible feeling our results will be as useless. People keep telling me how lucky we are that we don't have to wait months for the Essex results like they did, but we probably will! What's the point in giving us historical data if the catchments have all changed-what happened in the past will be irrelevant!

If DS gets a score of 304-what will that actually mean. Ohhhh, this is going to be a long week with a possibly v unsatisfactory outcome next Monday. I can just see texts flying about wildly on Monday night between mums at the school trying to work out where their Dc is on a mental results scale...
dez

Post by dez »

Even though there is no guarantee of a place in a GS for DCs for candidate who have borderline result, they will at least have an idea whether to apply on their CAF. At least there is a chance to decide which school to choose as the alternative. Every year there are borderline cases. If it is borderline the chance is still there, but without out early results all the DCs will be in the dark and just hope for the best for longer.

One thing CSSE could to do is to also give the highest, mean and lowest score and ranking that will at least give some idea to all DCs what their realistic chance is.

eg. English: xx/50
Maths: xx/40
VR: xx/80
Weighed score: ***.***
Overall ranking: ****/4000(assuming there were 4000DCs sat foe the tests)
Boy's ranking: ****/****
Girl's ranking: ****/****

The other option is to kindly ask all results to be published by all DCs on this forum for everyone to use as a guide on result day!!!!
Manana

Post by Manana »

dez wrote:Even though there is no guarantee of a place in a GS for DCs for candidate who have borderline result, they will at least have an idea whether to apply on their CAF. At least there is a chance to decide which school to choose as the alternative. Every year there are borderline cases. If it is borderline the chance is still there, but without out early results all the DCs will be in the dark and just hope for the best for longer.

One thing CSSE could to do is to also give the highest, mean and lowest score and ranking that will at least give some idea to all DCs what their realistic chance is.

eg. English: xx/50
Maths: xx/40
VR: xx/80
Weighed score: ***.***
Overall ranking: ****/4000(assuming there were 4000DCs sat foe the tests)
Boy's ranking: ****/****
Girl's ranking: ****/****

The other option is to kindly ask all results to be published by all DCs on this forum for everyone to use as a guide on result day!!!!
A boy and girl ranking would be extremely useful-as would a mean (and mode, median and range ;) )

I think a guide published on here would be excellent as well-let's do it.

Please, CSSE-give us some clues!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I'm not an expert but I thought that with standardised scoring the mean score will always be the same?
harrydog

Post by harrydog »

Hi All,

Emailed the CSSE today with asking if they could shed any further light on what information we could expect with the results - a long shot I know, but why not! :lol:

Within their response was "the information will be very helpful" and "From the total standardised score you will be able to see clearly whether you should apply to a grammar school or not."

So take that as you will!! I would guess from the email that we will be getting a little more detailed results than just scores, but who knows!

Also mentions that all grammer schools will be holding further info sessions and "that you may wish to vist for further explanation", no mention that it is invite only.

Roll on next Monday! Rather fed up with thinking about it now, just want to get the bloomin' CAF application form filled in and done! :roll:

Tx
purplegirl

Post by purplegirl »

ToadMum wrote:DS2 is taking the 11+ next year, so am all agog to see how this year's results are reported!

For those with DDs, just be glad that you are not in Plymouth:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=28013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is such a scary thread, unfortunately I think most of us in Essex will be in a similar position next week. If there are roughly 4000 candidates then those with the very high scores (say the first few hundred) may be reassured and expect a place, those with very low scores can concentrate on other options, and the rest of us (and I think I'll be in this position) will be left twiddling our thumbs until march!
As I said, scary thread! :shock:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now