Results on Monday

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
seriousmum

Results on Monday

Post by seriousmum »

I think the only way we can really assist one another, if people don't mind, is to post as many results as possible on here on Monday. It will be highly beneficial to all to have an informal ranking system everyone can refer to for sanity.
ahap

Re: Results on Monday

Post by ahap »

I'll be posting even if DD scores very low, her VR paper is still haunting me, (I mentioned earlier in another post about it ) but keeping my fingers crossed she did not spoil it. I thought I was more calm this year, maybe a little bit calmer than last year. :?
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Manana

Post by Manana »

ahap wrote:I'll be posting even if DD scores very low, her VR paper is still haunting me, (I mentioned earlier in another post about it ) but keeping my fingers crossed she did not spoil it. I thought I was more calm this year, maybe a little bit calmer than last year. :?
Yes-I'll be posting here no matter what he gets. Maybe it would be useful to compile a results list for girls and one for boys as well? I know they can't give us a ranking for each school as they don't know which we will apply to, but wonder if it would be useful for them to give us a ranking out of how many boys (or girls) took it in Essex, eg your DS came 200/2000? Would that help as you'd know how many boys' places there were in Essex and could make a guess as to whether they stood a chance!!? Or not!?

My friend rang the CSE to ask what information we'd be getting and they said it was a graph with the grades the schools have historically accepted. Not so useful when the catchment is different though.

I think it's time to go and read last years' scores just one more time... :lol:
moved

Post by moved »

I've started a couple of threads for results and celebrations.
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

moved wrote:I've started a couple of threads for results and celebrations.
Thank you moved. Reality is finally dawning.
I am happy to collate for the boys in order of weighted scores (assuming we still get these).

Please add first school of choice as well pls.
Last edited by seriousmum on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
purplegirl

Post by purplegirl »

seriousmum wrote:I think the only way we can really assist one another, if people don't mind, is to post as many results as possible on here on Monday. It will be highly beneficial to all to have an informal ranking system everyone can refer to for sanity.
Good idea.
Roll on Monday.
Hopefully the CSSE results will give us all some useful info. But if the CSSE doesn't give us a ranking (I'm still hoping they will, but I've no evidence that they will) and given that there are catchment changes, it's going to be hard to make useful interpretations if all the CSSE gives us is historic scores to compare to.
Manana

Post by Manana »

What effect, logically, will the catchment changes have?

They mean that more children (talking specifically about Southend here, but will probably apply elsewhere) will be in catchment (hundreds more? Over a thousand? I have no idea?!). This will probably mean also that more 'new catchment' people will attempt in the test as they may now be able to get in with a lower score?

Will this mean that the catchment places will (in all likelihood) be filled and the out of catchment places be limited to those kept aside? An I right in thinking out of catchment children have had eg 25 places 'saved' for them but there were possibly more spaces available if the in catchment spaces weren't filled, but this is now much less likely-yes?

No sensible conclusions reached though and may I just say a loud, 'arghhhhhhh!!!'
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

I'll be surprised if it is hundreds more as many would likely of tried anyway. The in catchment places are more likely to be filled however as a result of the lower minimum (303) entrance requirement. The full in catchment allocation may still not be filled though. The remainder will go to the out of catchment in ranked order. The 303 min applies to Southend only. For Chelmsford it will be on ranking for in and out of catchment. Clear as mud? :)
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

But if the CSSE doesn't give us a ranking (I'm still hoping they will, but I've no evidence that they will)

I don't think a ranking would be of any more help to you anyway unless your child is ranked very high, as they would only be able to rank all candidates in one list (as applications haven't been made.)

Being told your DS is eg, rank 300 is not going to mean anything unless you are in the position to accept any grammar place in the county. For those of us in North Essex for whom Colchester is the only option unless we rank in the top 96 there would still be no guarantee as all the candidates above us may want the same school.

I hope I am wrong but I am not convinced that the results are going to be particularly helpful unless DC has done either brilliantly or failed miserably. And with the later I presume we would still need to apply for the preferred grammar if we are considering any form of appeal so it still won't make any difference to our CAF choices.
moved

Post by moved »

I am hoping that the threads with positions offered will help here. Although the catchment has changed you will be able to see standardised scores from previous years and the position of those candidates on the schools' lists.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 15&t=17740" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now