Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ahap

Re: Scores on the doors for 2013 entry

Post by ahap »

rocky23000 wrote:
ahap wrote:Rocky23000,
If you look at the Guidance sheet given by CSSE your DD's score is well above the minimum score. Apply to ChCHS, go for it..............

Email : admissions@cchs.essex.sch.uk to attend the enquiry meeting on the 22nd of October 2012 for further info.
Thanks, yes we are going for this meeting. Additionally, I was wondering which school to put as 2nd on our list, Colchester or Westcliff, cutoff marks for Colchester seem higher than Westcliff. I am not sure of travel arrangements from Brentwood to Colchester though. Any guidance on this?

Sorry, I don't know about travel arrangements from Brentwood to Colchester. Phone or email CSSE about this. They will be able to help you.

To Westcliffe schools http://www.sbcleisure.com/?page_id=55&ppid=47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.csse.org.uk/transport.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
ahap

Re: Discussion/whooping/panicking thread!

Post by ahap »

At last the post arrived. I'm sure everybody has now got their results.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
CardyMow

Post by CardyMow »

I didn't know you could ask for a remark. With the VR paper, would a remark be done by a person? I'm just worried that my DS may have got a bit careless with rubbing out wrong answers in this paper as his painkillers had worn off, and thàt the machine may have read the answers wrongly because of this.

How do you ask for a remark? And is it just on one paper?
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

chanceinnorfolk wrote:
Suresh wrote:CRGS Last scores as of March 1st

2012 -------340.4787

2011-------333.83

2010-------337.****

2009-------343.****.

Just over 4000 children took the test this year.( boys & Girls included ).
Hope this helps to give a better understanding

Hi Suresh, Good work with your many post's, I'm sure they assist many people.

Don't want to be pedantic, but my Son got his 1st choice of CRGS in 2011 with a score of 333.782.

I understand that even the smallest of margins can sometimes equal several boys/girls.
Hi, was this an actual offer on 1 March or subsequently? Thanks
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

bendyspatula wrote:Santanta/moved (or anyone else who knows) I'm being asked by various friends (who aren't all using this forum) about the standardisation process. Whilst I can explain to an extent; have you by any chance done the maths to be able to advise roughly how many OSW score points equate each to a mark or percentage point in each of the English, Maths and VR ranges?

e.g. If a DC got 50% across the board in all three papers (25/50; 20/40; 40/80) what would their OSW have been and how would this have changed if each score were varied one point up or down?

Has anyone collated the scores reported here to help do this? I would guess if so there may be some similar scores with one point variation in a particular subject that would help calculate this (recognising that without the full dataset, means, SDs etc. we can't actually fully second guess the standardisation).
Working backwards from a set of 9 scores posted up here I developed a spreadsheet that calculated several hundred thousand values for the standardised score based on possible combinations of en/Ma/vr mean and Eng/Ma/VR Standard Deviation.

From these it is possible to give an approximate Mean score for the three tests and an approximate SD.

Eng: 21/50 SD 10
Ma 25/40 SD 7
VR 41/80 SD 11.5

So approximately 68% of students who took the test would have scored within 1 SD of these scores. ie between 11 and 31 for English.

A score of 31/50 32/40 and 53/80 would have put you in the top 16% of test takers.
bendyspatula

Post by bendyspatula »

Thanks for these approximate means and SDs but how do they then translate to OSW given the suggestion that VR counts for 50% of the overall score? I understand the standardisation or the weighting but not how they apply the two. e.g. If a child scored the mean for each of these that would attract 100 points per curve, giving a total of 300, but that doesn't account for the weighting doubling the value of the VR?
piemom

Post by piemom »

bendyspatula wrote:Thanks for these approximate means and SDs but how do they then translate to OSW given the suggestion that VR counts for 50% of the overall score? I understand the standardisation or the weighting but not how they apply the two. e.g. If a child scored the mean for each of these that would attract 100 points per curve, giving a total of 300, but that doesn't account for the weighting doubling the value of the VR?
They multiply Maths & English by 0.75 and VR by 1.5. There's a great explanation on one of these threads, but I can't find it......
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

piemom wrote:
bendyspatula wrote:Thanks for these approximate means and SDs but how do they then translate to OSW given the suggestion that VR counts for 50% of the overall score? I understand the standardisation or the weighting but not how they apply the two. e.g. If a child scored the mean for each of these that would attract 100 points per curve, giving a total of 300, but that doesn't account for the weighting doubling the value of the VR?
They multiply Maths & English by 0.75 and VR by 1.5. There's a great explanation on one of these threads, but I can't find it......
Check it out in the "Essex and Standardisation" tread, aang have kindly obtained the actual mean and standardisation report for this year exam.
Last edited by tabasco on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moved

Post by moved »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 15&t=17999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now