Will she cope if she just scraps into grammar?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mum of 2

Will she cope if she just scraps into grammar?

Post by Mum of 2 »

My daughter passed, at 313, but is very close to the lowest out of catchment score for Southend and has just missed by one point the lowest into Westcliff. My question is regarding children have just scraped into a grammar school (and it's not even certain that on 313 she WILL gain a place). Will she be at the bottom of the class and struggle to keep up in Southend or west cliff on that mark? If she goes to her local comp she will be in all the top sets and will probably shine. I want her to be confident and happy, it's the great unknown of how and if she will cope.

The other thing is that the journey is an hour to an hour and twenty both ways.

I am concerned about this long day with homework on top.

Really agonising over what to put on my form now!
zakira

Re: Will she cope if she just scraps into grammar?

Post by zakira »

Hi, I think you should go for it, she will probably do ok because she is bright. If she does not like it at the grammer school you can always transfer.
mclm

Post by mclm »

There often seems to be only a few actual marks between the last places and a comfortable admittance, so don't fret on capability.

Think carefully about travel time though. It is a long day & a load for them to adjust to, but only you & your DD can make the decision of whether she's up for it. Try it out and see.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

I`m in Kent, ( skulking whilst awaiting D-day tomorrow) and DD1 scraped in to grammar school bang on the pass mark.
She`s currently in yr 9 and in the top set for everything, except maths, where shes top dog in the middle set.
I too had worries that she`d struggle against all the high flyers, but they were unfounded and she`s doing fantastically. She rises to every challenge she`s given. Not a day goes by I`m grateful we got her in to grammar.

Good luck.

Just to add, she leaves the house at 7:30am and gets home at 5pm on the bus. Thats travelling to our nearest school. The bus ride is like a social get together
aang

Post by aang »

Anecdotal evidence quoted by many headteachers of the grammar schools in Essex suggest that there is little correlation between 11+ scores and how well the child does in the subsequent five or seven years (which is also why they are not worried about the 2013 and future candidates starting off with lower 11+ scores). I wouldn't worry about a child struggling at grammar school unless (s)he has been heavily tutored and only just scraped in in the 11+.

I suggest that it is more important to consider if your child will thrive better in that particular grammar school environment compared to a particular state comp. A question that you may continue to revisit over the next few years!
event1

Post by event1 »

11+ scores has nothing to do with how children perform in grammar, one thing that I am proud of the pastoral care and extra support available to them. Challenges are around but the school support them to builds their confidence up, I believe your child will strive. :D
sargul

Post by sargul »

Im sure your daughter will be fine x dont forget there will be many in catchment children with lower score than your daughter x I think as long as your child is committed and used to a work load which im sure most children sitting 11+ have been doing extra work then they will be fine!

Gratz to your daughter you must be very proud and embrace and celebrate her score!
Mamonaku

Post by Mamonaku »

When I was at grammar school by the end of year 7 it was clear that 2 girls out of 90 were struggling and not well suited to the school. They both left at the end of year 7.

My advice is that you'll never know if your DC is one of the 98% that will be absolutely fine or one of the 2% that aren't well suited unless they give the school a try.
One thing to bear in mind is that usually there is no one child at the bottom of the class for every subject. Even in a grammar school children have their relative strengths and weaknesses, with some children preferring languages, others being better at science etc.
moved

Post by moved »

I wouldn't let her score make you decide. 313 is comfortably above the 303 that is deemed to be a minimum.

If you are concerned about the journey then try it one morning at the correct time and see what you think.