Allocation/application process

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Allocation/application process

Post by moved »

When you apply to a school it is important to put your real choices down. The schools do not know where you have put them on your list.

The process

1. You put your schools down in your order of preference.
2. Each school is told who has applied to them.
3. The schools rank the applicants according to their own criteria.
4. Children are allocated schools.

I will give a simple example:

Chen wants to go to a SS grammar in his local town, he is also good at sport and has applied for a sports place.

On his form he puts:
Local SS grammar
Local comp with sports places
Out of catchment grammar 1
Out of catchment grammar 2
OOC grammar 3
Local school that would be OK

His score is 340, he is allocated his First choice.
(He drops off the list for the lower choices.)

OR

His score is 320. He is allocated his second choice at the sports college.

OR

His score is 320, he didn't do we'll enough at sport, he is allocated his fourth choice.

Each time a child is allocated to a school they cease to be available for the schools that were placed further down their list.

Regarding places on school lists, it is possible to be position 200 and allocated a place in a school for 150 children.

I will give you a rough example of a former pupil. She lived in Chelmsford and was willing to travel.

Score 360? It has been a few years.

CCHS, ranked 70th - accepted
CCHS, ranked 30th - place not allocated as higher school taken
WHSG, ranked 10th
SHSG, ranked 10th
St. Bernard's, ranked 5th

She appeared on all of these lists, but only took the first school. She still counted in the positions for all the schools as these were worked out first. She was removed from the schools that were lower on her list as she wasn't available. Her application was counted 5 times.

Many parents apply for numerous schools, less necessary this year for those who have scored highly. The girl above would probably only have applied to CCHS this year.
moved

Re: Allocation/application process

Post by moved »

Follow the link for a super graphic from another forum member

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 30&t=28833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saltylerjoel

Post by Saltylerjoel »

I wonder what would happen in this scenario:

DC1 scores 320 ooc and selects School A as top preference
DC2 scores 320 ooc and selects School B as top preference with School A as 2nd

Both DCs have scored enough for School A but DC2 has not qualified for School B. There is only 1 place left in School A - does DC1 get offered the place as School A was their first, top preference?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

As Moved explained, the school does not know where the parent ranked them on the CAF, nor is that issue at all relevant under the equal preference system. In Essex, the actual score is worked out to 3 decimal places so the problem is less likely to occur, but if, say, both got 320.422, then the place would be given to the child who best fitted the next level criterion - usually distance but will be stated by each school in its admissions criteria.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Saltylerjoel

Post by Saltylerjoel »

Thanks ToadMum - seems I am worrying about the preference order too much! :)
lama

Post by lama »

moved wrote:When you apply to a school it is important to put your real choices down. The schools do not know where you have put them on your list.

The process

1. You put your schools down in your order of preference.
2. Each school is told who has applied to them.
3. The schools rank the applicants according to their own criteria.
4. Children are allocated schools.

I will give a simple example:

Chen wants to go to a SS grammar in his local town, he is also good at sport and has applied for a sports place.

On his form he puts:
Local SS grammar
Local comp with sports places
Out of catchment grammar 1
Out of catchment grammar 2
OOC grammar 3
Local school that would be OK

His score is 340, he is allocated his First choice.
(He drops off the list for the lower choices.)

OR

His score is 320. He is allocated his second choice at the sports college.

OR

His score is 320, he didn't do we'll enough at sport, he is allocated his fourth choice.

Each time a child is allocated to a school they cease to be available for the schools that were placed further down their list.

Regarding places on school lists, it is possible to be position 200 and allocated a place in a school for 150 children.

I will give you a rough example of a former pupil. She lived in Chelmsford and was willing to travel.

Score 360? It has been a few years.

CCHS, ranked 70th - accepted
CCHS, ranked 30th - place not allocated as higher school taken
WHSG, ranked 10th
SHSG, ranked 10th
St. Bernard's, ranked 5th

She appeared on all of these lists, but only took the first school. She still counted in the positions for all the schools as these were worked out first. She was removed from the schools that were lower on her list as she wasn't available. Her application was counted 5 times.

Many parents apply for numerous schools, less necessary this year for those who have scored highly. The girl above would probably only have applied to CCHS this year.

Hello

I have one strange question about preference...
Scenario:
School A and B , both being grammar schools and my DD has passed both the schools and her marks are with in the top selection criteria of both the schools.
If I put down school A as my first preference and school B as second, as I like school A more than school B but school B has more chances.
If in case we don't get school A due to some reason then will she still get school B, in case wherein say school B has been opted as first preference by the girls more than the places at school B and they all are eligible.
In such a case, will my daughter still be considered among the School B along with others first preference of school B?
KB

Post by KB »

The point is that for Grammar schools the test score is all that matters when deciding whether you are offered a place or not . If girl A has more marks than girl B then she will be offered the place regardless of where they put the school on their CAF.

The important factor is to rank the school in the order you want them because if your first school can offer you a place then you will not be offered a place at any of the other schools regardless of test score.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

We Southend residents get this message on the login page for online applications:

Your preferences are not shared with the schools. Schools only receive a list of children applying to their school. This is then sorted by the school according to their admission criteria and sent back to the Council for processing the decision.

As far as I can see, a similar message does not appear on the Essex CC login page; possibly there is something further into the process, but I don't really want to pretend to live in two places at once to find out :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
lama

Post by lama »

ToadMum wrote:We Southend residents get this message on the login page for online applications:

Your preferences are not shared with the schools. Schools only receive a list of children applying to their school. This is then sorted by the school according to their admission criteria and sent back to the Council for processing the decision.

As far as I can see, a similar message does not appear on the Essex CC login page; possibly there is something further into the process, but I don't really want to pretend to live in two places at once to find out :lol:
Thanks ToadMum. I have heard that some schools do come to know the preferences (not sure how authentic it is)
but our council has put down on the application form that we don't share.
lspr

Post by lspr »

Could I just ask a question about waiting list.
Say I rank school A as 1 and school B as 2 for my DD and am offered school B, how do I stay on the waiting list for School A?
Do I need to reject an offer on School B?

Am in the scenario that my first choice being OOC may not be offered on allocation day but we would like my DD to go there if possible. I am sure DD will be offered her second choice due to her scores . Would feel worried if to stay on the waiting list of first chioce to say no the the offered place.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now