A statistical perspective on the 2013 scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moved

Re: A statistical perspective on the 2013 scores

Post by moved »

There is more detail in the standardisation sticky. The very high scores will equate to raw scores near 100%. The one I have heard of is very close to this.

Scores above 390 were mentioned on the forum last year too. Prior to that I had been told that the cap was 390, which meant that any score over a certain amount would automatically be given 390. Now it has changed and I assume the new cut off is 420.

The same has happened in Kent, where the entire cohort take the test. Previously, the cap was 420, now it is 423. Kent provides grammar places for 33% of its population, but the west Kent schools are in very high demand and the scores required have been around 420.

This used to be easier to achieve in Kent than in Essex. I know of plenty of children who scored 370-380 in the Essex test who all scored 420 in the Kent test.
rbs

Post by rbs »

Do we therefore assume that the cut off scores quoted on the CSSE guidance sheet will be higher for this year?
moved

Post by moved »

No. The only scores that will change are those that would have been above 390 anyway.
coolmum2011

Post by coolmum2011 »

I know 2 kids who got scores above 390 .....not heard of anyone above 400 though .
campergirl

Post by campergirl »

One child at our school scored 395 and I'm pretty sure they haven't used this forum.
Gaunt

Post by Gaunt »

Hi aang,
In reply to the first post

"5. Combining the points above means that a child scoring 26/50 in English, 30/40 in Maths, and 62/80 in VR would result in a standardised score of around 347. Increase or decrease the scores accordingly, but this can help set a target for any child taking the exam next year.."

My sons raws were similar to your example
26/50 English
30/40 Maths
60/80 VR instead of your example of 62/80
His score is 343.231

A couple of questions are all it takes to differentiate.

My understanding is that if fewer took the exam than in previous years his chances are better than if more took it.
I would be interested to know how many took the exam this year and the previous four years.

It has a positive experience whatever the outcome, and I'm very proud of the way he handled exam day. If he doesn't make KEGS it will be the local comprehensive with all his friends. I couldn't put him through an hour and fifteen minutes journey door to door each way to go to an alternative grammer.
toolate

Post by toolate »

Straight from CSSE - numbers were up this year by 4%

This year the total number of candidates was 3987. Last year the figure was 3826.

Previous years have been archived and we are not currently in a position to retrieve the information.

I can advise that over the last few years the figure is usually in the region of approximately 3600-3900.
2 to go

Post by 2 to go »

I know someone who has scored 410.
pg19

Post by pg19 »

Can I ask if some of you have seen 410,then this score is out off what?
thx
pg
moved

Post by moved »

I will check with the CSSE. Probably 420, but a standardised score doesn't work in a straight line. It is better to think of it as a position. Most people are bunched around the middle. The further you go from the middle the more thinly people are spread. At the far ends there are a very few on their own.

Generally, these extreme scores are not reliable. To score over 95% in an exam means that you are not making any errors to speak of. I am in no way implying that the 95% score is not impressive. To score under 5% means you could have guessed the answers!

It is for this reason that the marks in a test should focus around an ability level that a candidate needs to achieve. The more marks at a particular point, the more sure an assessor can be that the outcome is correct.

For Essex there is more than one point that needs to be considered: 303 for Southend and about 340 for central/northern Essex.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now