Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bravado

Re: Did so much better in mocks.

Post by bravado »

bravado wrote:
aang wrote:Bravado,

Look at my post in
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 15&t=28558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have no vested interest in this year's exam or last year's. The fact that there were so many candidates able to score 90%+ in this year's VR paper compared to last year strongly suggests this year's VR paper was much easier..
Thanks aang - I saw your admirable stats' post the other day and you have my utmost respect. I note your comment

"1. The results posted in these forums are not a representative picture of the overall results as these forums contain an over-representation of higher scores, 2013 even more so than 2012"

So...as long as everyone bears the bold highlighted bit in mind, when reading about theories on the level of difficulty of this year's test, that may enable them to make their own assessment as to the degree of usefulness or otherwise, of analyses produced at this point in time, from a database of postings on this site :D

So in essence, at the moment, any theories about how the exams can be rated, as far as levels of difficulty are concerned, must be regarded as not entirely representative of the true and whole picture. One may therefore possibly suggest that it's not a statistical representation of the results but a statistical analysis of this site's posted results. :D

If only we could get CSSE to have some input for the true picture regarding statistics...then we could have some real navel contemplation :lol: 8)
Last edited by bravado on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
jojo1

Post by jojo1 »

My ds did ok 336 but did much better in the mock(last years papers) especially in the vr. He didn't find the vr hard but time consuming (2/3 of the way in) and was angry with himself for being too thorough and also had to make a quick guess at the last 15 questions. My ds also sat the mock early in the morning with approx 80 other children.
I would also agree that parents, who's children didn't do as well as they would have hoped, wouldn't rush to put their score on the forum. Many of us are still going to be in the dark until 1st March. :?
CardyMow

Post by CardyMow »

My DS was doing massively better in his mock tests, percentages in the 70's/80's/90's.

On the day he was ill, took the alternate sitting but got iller and iller, this has culminated in him getting worse and worse and his results were excellent...but nowhere near as high as they should have been.

He got 373.171. He is right now lying in a hospital bed sleeping off a general anaesthetic.

Edited to correct SS, got the 3 and 7 back to front. SS SHOULD read 337.171.
Last edited by CardyMow on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manana

Post by Manana »

CardyMow wrote:My DS was doing massively better in his mock tests, percentages in the 70's/80's/90's.

On the day he was ill, took the alternate sitting but got iller and iller, this has culminated in him getting worse and worse and his results were excellent...but nowhere near as high as they should have been.

He got 373.171. He is right now lying in a hospital bed sleeping off a general anaesthetic.

373 is an outstanding score!!
moved

Post by moved »

I think that the overemphasis on high scores on this forum is making people lose their perspective.

DD is more than thriving at CCHS. She thought she had an off day with her English paper, which I suppose she did. Her score was 350-360. It was an excellent score. It wasn't as high as her brother though, so she didn't think it was that good.

I remember posting on here with her by my side asking questions about starting at CCHS, because she thought she would be bottom! This post is not to boast (lets face it, on here this year her score is not that good) but to get things back into perspective.

If your children are making it into a grammar school, then they have already achieved. The ranking/score is irrelevant. This is a test on one day, a small slice of life. Some have good days, some have bad!
moved

Post by moved »

CardyMow wrote:My DS was doing massively better in his mock tests, percentages in the 70's/80's/90's.

Hope he is ok. His score is already stupendous. Scores in the 370s usually put DC in the top 40 for the Chelmsford grammars. Cannot be viewed as bad. :D
CardyMow

Post by CardyMow »

:oops: 373.171 was a typo! I have edited my post for clarity, but his score was 337.171.

I was distracted when I posted...
RGA

Post by RGA »

jojo1 wrote:My ds did ok 336 but did much better in the mock(last years papers) especially in the vr. He didn't find the vr hard but time consuming (2/3 of the way in) and was angry with himself for being too thorough and also had to make a quick guess at the last 15 questions. .
F?
This was almost exactly my daughter' s experience. I remember after the test other people were also commenting their children finding it time-consuming, although others were mentioning that their children finished early. I was thinking at the time that maybe the new format of the verbal reasoning really differentiates between people who are quicker versus a little slower (and certainly, speed has never been my daughter' s strong point although she still did very well in practice tests, because of a high accuracy rate).

Now that the results are out the conclusion seems to be that the verbal reasoning was just easy, but I'm guessing that those whose children had trouble completing it and got lower scores haven't necessarily posted here.
moved

Post by moved »

I don't think this board can be used to establish whether or not a paper is easy. Have a look at Setanta's last post in Essex and standardisation.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 9&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now