the aftermath

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moved

Re: the aftermath

Post by moved »

When I began tutoring in London over 20 years ago I noticed that a child needed to complete 4 VR and NVR before their scores levelled off. Now, having analysed the techniques in both I would still say that this is broadly true. Children improve slightly over time. When every mark matters and competition is stiff then every mark is worth attaining.

Another aspect of the extra work in Essex is the improvement in maths and English, which stands every child in good stead.

Neither of my own children were particularly tutored, self taught with appropriate materials in the case of DD, but I couldn't condemn anyone for doing the best they could for their child. I often felt guilty that I didn't do more or have the time.

We are their parents. It is surely our role to help them make a good start in the world.
CardyMow

Re: the aftermath

Post by CardyMow »

The headmaster at CRGS said yesterday that in the last two years they have had a pupil admitted from the waiting list at 330. So if your DS's score was 330, what harm is there in using one of your 6 choices for CRGS?

The reason the Southend GS's have different arrangements for admissions is because they have their own unitary authority, and do not come under the ECC. They don't even make their admission application to ECC. They have had the pass mark in place for a LONG time - longer than they have been part of the CSSE for. At one point, they had their own separate 11+ test to take. I am old enough that I took the Essex 11+ AND the Southend test. They just kept the 'pass mark' when they joined the CSSE.