School bus from Southend to KEGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jade

School bus from Southend to KEGS

Post by Jade »

Anyone know any bus ran from Southend to KEGS ???
mum of boys

Re: School bus from Southend to KEGS

Post by mum of boys »

Not heard of one. Probably not enough demand. The majority of children in Southend who are eligible for a grammar school place will probably choose to go local.

You could do train to Shenfield from Southend Victoria and then change onto Chelmsford train at Shenfield.
Jade

Post by Jade »

Thanks mum of boys. Do u know how long is take ?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Timetabled journey is about 50 minutes station to station, plus getting to Southend Vic / Prittlewell at this end and the walk to KEGS from Chelmsford station. There is actually a public bus (Regal Busways route 3) between Southend and Chelmsford, but it takes about two hours :shock: Is there any particular reason your DS doesn't fancy SHSB / WHSB, though?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Jade

Post by Jade »

My son tutor recommend this . Kegs is better school
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

Jade wrote:My son tutor recommend this . Kegs is better school
I think that is something you have to decide for yourself. 'Better' is very subjective. You have to weigh up the extra travelling over the fact that you have 2 very good grammar schools locally. A bright child will probably do as well in any of the grammars. You need to look at them all and decide which suits him best.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

I agree with mums of boys. If your DS has scored high enough in the 11+ to get in KEGS, he will do very well in any GS. The only different is the location of the school. KEGS is more accessible therefore has attract more applicants, as a result, more difficult to get a place. When you compare most of the GCSE and A levels results the differences are only a few % in some instance. :)
Jade

Post by Jade »

Thnx guys for the replies.
moved

Post by moved »

DS took the train for a year. 7.15am from Southend Vic.

Some children enjoy the train, others don't. Have a long chat with dS and see what he fancies. My DS really liked the journey, time to chat, time to read, but he was forgetful and there was no way of popping in with his forgotten books. There is also the additional train cost, they only get child fares until the age of 16. Adult ones are quite steep, so year 11 onwards will be pricey.

People choose schools for all sorts of reasons and, as pointed out, better is highly subjective.

Kegs provides Latin provision, this mattered to me, but then DD across the road dropped Latin because she couldn't fit it in with everything else. We really wanted CCHS for DD as it was smaller, had a swimming pool, didn't set the girls, etc.

We also wanted to move for a shorter commute to the West End.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now