They raise mark at times can they lower it if pass rate low?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
skenty

They raise mark at times can they lower it if pass rate low?

Post by skenty »

Just a thought - if demand is high they say mark for entry can be i.e. 313 ......
So.... if amount of children achieving 303 was much lower than catchment places on offer would they ever go to 302????

Crazy topic but my DD score was 302.3!!!! - ever hopeful
Suresh

Re: They raise mark at times can they lower it if pass rate

Post by Suresh »

skenty wrote:Just a thought - if demand is high they say mark for entry can be i.e. 313 ......
So.... if amount of children achieving 303 was much lower than catchment places on offer would they ever go to 302????

Crazy topic but my DD score was 302.3!!!! - ever hopeful
No, they do not take below 303, all the remaining places will be given to the out of catchment children. But as you are so close, if you have a strong reason you could appeal.
skenty

Post by skenty »

We are hoping to appeal but what is a strong reason?? My DD did badly on the day, way below what was expected of her , she is doing very well at school with SAT's level 5 etc... Not sure what else we can say, we feel she is more than capable of a GS education and she was so close...
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Suresh is right for the Grammars officially - although I think I heard SHSG took some under 303 students last year after appeal. Have you considered St. Bernard's Grammar stream - I have heard that they take students with under 303 in that stream. Excellent school if you are content with the Christian ethos and their expectations in that respect.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Setanta wrote:Suresh is right for the Grammars officially - although I think I heard SHSG took some under 303 students last year after appeal. Have you considered St. Bernard's Grammar stream - I have heard that they take students with under 303 in that stream. Excellent school if you are content with the Christian ethos and their expectations in that respect.
People on here have been quoting St Bernard's and Tommy More as taking less than 303, but friends have asked the admissions people at both schools recently and both have said that they require 303 or over just like the grammars and don't accept less! What's the truth!?
skenty

Post by skenty »

their criteria states they take the "top 24%" - not sure if this gives some room for manoeuvre and have read many entries stating DD's getting in for grammar stream with scores as low as 295 - not sure what to believe...
moved

Post by moved »

I wonder if St. Bernard's use the SAT scores to place candidates in their top stream, Shoebury does.

Chai stated a score in the 290s last year and I have known girls who scored below 303 secure places.
Dazel

Post by Dazel »

Have been thinking of you Skenty.
We received our remark results today...no difference, but then we had a way to go.
Really hope they manage to find that magic half a mark for your DD.
Chai

Post by Chai »

moved wrote:I wonder if St. Bernard's use the SAT scores to place candidates in their top stream, Shoebury does.

Chai stated a score in the 290s last year and I have known girls who scored below 303 secure places.

Thing is, I know of another boy who applied for St Thomas More, out of catchment, last year. Did not pass 11+ at all. He sat the exams just because other people were doing it. I don't know score. When I spoke with his parents, I was given the impression that because they are catholic, he would have made it in anyway. And because I know of people who are out of catchment who got into St Bernards, I simply assumed it was because they of the fact that they are catholic, that that's why they had a better chance. I had another student who tried for St Bernards last year. She also opted for Ursuline as second choice. She is Orthodox catholic and out of catchment. She did not get in to either school and the reason cited was that she had to be Roman Catholic and therefore no preference was given to her. So I am a bit confused about the catholic-non-catholic grammar stream rule. ....plus since this does not concern me directly, I have not had the time to look up the rules in detail.

I know, though, that Panichead's DD's scores look good enough for St Bernards (for last year).
moved

Post by moved »

For St. Thomas More Catholics are given preference. St. Bernard's say that you don't have to be Catholic for the grammar stream.

Those I have come across who have been offered places in March placed it lower than shsg and whsg in their list.

If 303 is necessary for entry it implies that up to 63 non-Catholic girls would need to choose St. Bernard's above the other two.

It is a very nice school.