Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Plush

Need clarification re: applying out-of-catchment for CCHS

Post by Plush »

Hi,
Could anyone help me out on this please asap:
My DD is currently in a primary school in Cambridge. She sat for the CSSE Grammar school exams this September and has achieved good enoughscores to compete for an out-of-catchment place at Chemlsford County School for Girls. We would be moving to near Chelmsford only in August 2013( nature of my job).
As you are aware, we should be applying for her secondary school admission before 31st of October. I have a couple of queries:

1. Because we would not know our future postal address in Essex from August 2013 ( since we will moving into Essex only by that time), can we use our current postal address at Cambridge in the Cambridgeshire Council secondary school application form but listing the grammar schools in Essex as our choices?

2. If that is the case, if her score from the CSSE exams is high enough to secure an out-of-catchment place for Chelmsford County school for girls, will she be given a place at her first choice at Chelmsford even though we will be coming to Essex only in August 2013?

I have called Cambridgeshire council, Essex county council and CSSE but they have been non-commital in their responses. The chap from Essex county council could not understand the concept of OOC for CCHS and tells me that my daughter will have only a slim chance of getting into CCHS if we are using our Cambridge address when applying before 31st. To me, it seems quite obvious that she will be eligible to compete for the OOC even though the application will have a Cambridge address but I would be grateful for responses from the very helpful forum members on this matter.
hermanmunster

Re: Need clarification re: applying out-of-catchment for CCH

Post by hermanmunster »

It looks to me as though they are not aware of the 24 places mentioned here...
The first 80% of places (96) will be allocated in rank order from the order of merit (i.e.
rank by academic score) following the 11+ examination, to girls living at a permanent
address within a 12.5 miles radius (measured in a straight line) of the School. All
straight line distances are calculated electronically by the Local Authority using data
provided jointly by the Post Office and Ordnance Survey. The data is used to plot
the co-ordinates of each individual property and school and provides address points
between which straight line distance is measured. Distances are to three decimal
places in the first instance.
The next 20% of places (24) will be allocated in rank order from the order of merit
(i.e. rank by academic score) to girls irrespective of distance to the School
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

As long as your DD's is in the top 24 OCC candidate's order of merit list and CCHS is your first preference she should get a place. But you need to put CCHS on your CAF!! :)
CardyMow

Post by CardyMow »

I would also like to say that if you want CCHS the most, then make sure it is your top choice on your local CAF. Then your LA sends the details over to Essex LA. if your DD has one of the top 24 OOC scores, it won't matter if you live in Cambridge or Canberra, you will get a place at CCHS.

It's to do with the equal preference rules.
moved

Post by moved »

It is very straightforward. You put CCHS on your application form in first place if it is your first preference.

With your daughter's scores, she is extremely likely to be offered a place. If there is any chance that you may not move then I suggest you put a local school down just in case.