Experience of the 11+ tests at Brentwood School?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
npmack

Experience of the 11+ tests at Brentwood School?

Post by npmack »

I have not been rigourously preparing my daughter for the 11+ exams until this week when a friend of mine encouraged me to enroll her. So far she is whizzing away at VR, but Maths and English need a bit of attention. Does anyone have any experience with the tests at Brentwood School, Essex? Or a tutor that could give emergency prep? Or, just advice on how to get through this successfully on our own. The tests are in January so I only have a short window in which to prepare.
yoyo123

Re: Experience of the 11+ tests at Brentwood School?

Post by yoyo123 »

I'll move this to the Essex section, you may get more interest there
rosie

Post by rosie »

It has been a few years so I may stand corrected; but the VR was very similar to the 11+ and the maths not so challenging. With regard to English, there was an additional section on creative writing with a choice of a couple of titles. We did get sent sample papers when we applied to the school which will help.
moved

Post by moved »

The standard 11+ prep has always stood my pupils in good stead.

Regarding the creative writing, I have always taken four titles that are quite different, but easily adapted. These should be drafted, corrected, discussed and redrafted until they are of a scholarship standard.

Vary sentence length, use paragraphs well, include some advanced punctuation: semi-colons are easy. Two short related sentences can be linked with a semi-colon.

With four stories most titles can be adapted to include one of them. I cannot remember if the VR is multiple choice or not.
rosie

Post by rosie »

VR is multiple choice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now