Chelmsford County High changing admissions tests for 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hopefuldad

Re: Chelmsford County High changing admissions tests for 201

Post by Hopefuldad »

Becoming an ACADEMY has broken the shackles, they can experiment to their hearts content, and they will till they find what's right for them.
Unfortunately not a good time to go through this process with all the upheaval.
coolmum2011

Post by coolmum2011 »

CSSE have updated their website saying there are no changes to the format for the test on 21st Sept 2013 . Any idea if KEGS has plans of having their own test ? Like CCHS has ? is KEGS an academy now?
kegsteacher

Post by kegsteacher »

coolmum2011 wrote:Any idea if KEGS has plans of having their own test ? Like CCHS has ? is KEGS an academy now?
Yes KEGS is an academy and no, KEGS has no plans of breaking off from the CSSE.
Slogger

Post by Slogger »

The Westcliff High Schools are both academies - I don't think the Southend High Schools are though
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Both SHSB and SHSG are Academies.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
purplegirl

Post by purplegirl »

Does anyone have any knowledge of how CEM 11plus based tests have been run else where in the country? As I'm a bit confused! :?
I've just looked at Durham university CEM site ( http://www.cemcentre.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) and the tests there cover all stages of education from primary to post 16 years, but doesn't specifically mention 11 plus exams. However, these tests seem to be computer based. :shock: They mention computer-adaptive testing. I'm had assumed that the 11 plus tests would be paper bases exams.
Does anyone have any experience of the CEM 11 plus tests: are they paper based tests or computer????
Any info about how the tests have been administrated else where in the country would be greatly appreciated.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

They're paper based tests which have been used for a while in Birmingham, and in Warwickshire. I'd start by having a look here - but you'll find more info generally if you read through some of the old posts on the Birmingham and Warwickshire sections of the forum.
moved

Post by moved »

Okanagan wrote:These are examples of what you might get as familiarisation papers:
But be warned the real thing is harder than these!
From page 1 of this thread.
dengiegirl

Post by dengiegirl »

Year 7 at CCHS did a practice 'new style' 11 plus today. From what I gather, the exam was split into two main parts, with timed sections within each part. The questions themselves were apparently 'really easy' and 'like Bond 8-9 level' with limited vocab requirement and spelling of really easy words (ie no difficult english comprehension) and 'easy vr' with some simple non-vr. My dd finished one paper with plenty of time to spare. The maths questions were 'easy but time consuming' and few finished within the time (my dd didn't). If this assessment is correct (the girls are not being given their individual results so who knows) there might need to be some fine tuning to get the exam up to the level required to get the spread needed to allocate places otherwise my impression is that it will be easier to tutor for, not less, as dd suggests it was a test of how fast she could write. However, maybe there were some trick questions in there that dd missed or this is how it is supposed to work.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Two parts with timed sections sounds right for CEM. Easy doesn't! This year's Warwickshire average raw scores (and it's opt in here and there aren't many places, so it's only a small minority who even take it - probably all those who do would be in the top 25% overall) were
Verbal Reasoning (which isn't traditional CR - it's more English) = 56 out of 111
Numerical Reasoning = 10 out of 42
Non Verbal Reasoning = 18 out of 32

Read that again - numerical reasoning - average score was 23%

Those aren't unusual either - the other year I have raw scores for was 2010 (when the exam was 2 months later)
V/Reasoning. 44/98
Non V/Reasoning. 21/41
Numeric. 18/51