Chelmsford County High changing admissions tests for 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Araucana girl

Re: Chelmsford County High changing admissions tests for 201

Post by Araucana girl »

Aaagh that will be dd as well - sitting in 2013. Didn't think I would be putting her in for two lots of exams :? We will be completely penalised on age weighting as well as she is an October girl :shock:
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

For some years we have been concerned that many parents have associated entry to this school with the need to invest in intensive coaching for their daughter. We have aimed, therefore, to introduce a set of tests which assess a broad range of abilities and provide a level playing field for every girl regardless of her family circumstances.

But if parents continue to 'invest in intensive coaching' because they want to have as many options as possible regarding other Essex GS's does this not just mean that girls will be coached in both CEM & traditional maths/english/NVR? Sorry, I can't see how beneficial this 'level playing field' will be.

Or, on the flip side perhaps they are seeing that girls who were previously intensively coached find it harder to keep up?
Clarabelle
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

Basically there is the addition of NVR, which is already been used by a lot of selective schools and no actual past papers to look at!!!!! Otherwise the DCs still need to be prepared in exam techniques and background knowledge. One good thing is there is "age standardisation" for the CEM tests!!!!
toolate

Post by toolate »

My DS recently sat a Durham CEM for an indy (as a back up for CRGS as he is a borderliner); it had all the components mentioned here. After the test I asked him if any of the work he had done for the 11+ was useful - and he said NO. I asked him if the two NVR Bond papers he had done as prep were useful - again NO. Apparently it was more a series of puzzles, including some very strange complex ones. The HM at the school setting the test said a 65% score would be major scholarship zone.

I think the whole point about the Durham CEM test is that it doesn't require prep work. It is a test designed to be predictive and measures future potential. How it does this, nobody knows. But those schools and counties already using it, are very happy with it, so it obviously works. It is spreading like wildfire.

My son has yet to receive his result - so I have no idea how he did. But a correlation analysis between 11+ results and Durham CEM results would be fascinating.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

The most useful prep you can do for CEM is probably LOTS of vocabulary work. And things which involve working out words from partially filled in answers - so (non cyptic) crosswords etc.
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

I do not think age standardisation is a good thing - this does not happen for their Secondary School exams. A lot of students sit their GCSE exams at 15 - no age standardisation given here.
ivory

Post by ivory »

I completely agree with CCHS changing their entrance test and opening up opportunities to children that would thrive at their school but haven't been able to have the serious amount of coaching of other candidates. I imagine the tutors (and parents) will catch up quick; I have been astounded to hear the lengths some will go to to secure a place. I worry that many current year 7's will be struggling within 12 months and that there will be many other year 7's not being challenged at their current school that did not get a place. I guess that is just life and my hope would be for all children to reach their potential and enjoy their school days wherever they are.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Thanks Okanagan

Our area is reviewing the 11+ process and I suspect this is the format they will opt for, so it is very interesting (and nerve wracking!) to learn more about it.
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

Does anyone know if the the Southend schools are considering this change?

I must say age standardisation is welcome in this household with my end of July DD....
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

SEP18 wrote:I do not think age standardisation is a good thing - this does not happen for their Secondary School exams. A lot of students sit their GCSE exams at 15 - no age standardisation given here.
Age standardisation is mainly used for tests taken by primary school students. By GCSE when they are 15-16 year old, an age difference of 11 months shouldn't have much effect on their performance. Hence age standardisation is not used at that stage. The difference in performance at GCSE or above is most likely due to ability rather than maturity.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now