Verbal reasoning confusion

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bubbles68

Verbal reasoning confusion

Post by Bubbles68 »

Hi everyone
I'm new to this forum but have hovered around for a bit. I have a ds whom I'm thinking of entering the 11+ exam but am confused over what vr teaching material/books to use.
Could I ask for some help what questions appear. The numbers and alphabet...... Do the bond books cover all the questions.
This is so confusing and look happily for any responses
Thank you in advance :idea:
yoyo123

Re: Verbal reasoning confusion

Post by yoyo123 »

Essex has just changed to CEM tests, a bit more information here

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... ex-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

It's CEM if you want Chelmsford County High School
Otherwise GL assessment.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Since you said "DS" I am assuming you are aiming for a school that sits the CSSE exam. Their VR is set by GL assessment. Bond books are not ideal for this (although great for Maths and English).
The following thread explains the best resources for the VR:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=30178
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

See the thread here for discussion on the VR content: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 15&t=17845" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You only need to think about CEM this year if you have a daughter who wants to try for CCHS, otherwise the exams remain unchanged : English, Maths and VR paper.
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
bravado

Post by bravado »

We loved the GL Assessment "11+ Explained Verbal Reasoning" book. It covers the question types needed for the CSSE exam. It's beautifully presented, easy to digest, visually appealing and has games and quizzes for you to play, to build on the skills learned. It ticked all our boxes, especially as it was published by the same company who set the real test.

As a little exercise to diagnose any issues/problem areas, we used the IPS "Verbal Reasoning Additional Practice Questions Book C" The 12 questions are set by type, so you have a chance to do 12 "Type O", 12 "Type S" etc. They were invaluable.
moved

Post by moved »

Hi and welcome to the forum. I've been on holiday for a week without access to the Internet.

Currently, all of the boys' schools take the consortium tests. The VR will be multiple choice and the links above or the stickies at the top of the Essex thread will be useful.

We don't know if the schools will change to CEM in the future, so if your DS is not sitting this September then I would certainly advise looking at the CEM materials.