Waiting list thread

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dez

Re: Waiting list thread

Post by dez »

Suresh wrote:
dez wrote:The deadline for accepting or declining an offer is the 15/03/2013, so all parents and DCs have 2 weeks to decide whether to accept/decline or change their preference if their DCs have a high enough 11+ score to get near the top of the waiting list to give them a realistic chance of getting a place.

Since there is a rule to allow late application, I would disagree with the notion that this process is unfair. This is because the purpose of the 11+ is to select DC according to their performance and nothing else. If the score of the late applicant is higher than any DCs on the waiting list and full filled the catchment requirement if applicable, that DC should be first on the waiting list.

Even though parents/DCs would accept/decline a place between 01/03/2013 to 15/03/2013, I don't think the schools or local authorities would start allocating places until the waiting list is finalised after 15/03/2013. Hence for any parents or DC if they are considering changing preference they better do it before the deadline. Of course I believe that they can possibly still change their mind after the deadline but their chances would be markedly reduce.

As last year was the first year for Essex to accept late applications they was no specific deadline to accept/decline offers last year. As a matter of fact I know someone who was added as a late applicant last year on March 2nd and was offered a place on March 5th in CRGS.
Southend on the contrary they had to wait until March 21st or so for them to be added on the waitlist, thereby giving 3 weeks head start for those who were already on the wait list. There could have been one or two exceptions but this was the way last year.
Thanks Suresh,

From what I can see, what CRGS and Southend have done last years were unfair to the late applicants. My reasoning is if the local authorities had decided to allow late applications, there should be a deadline set post allocation day before available places are offer for waiting list candidates. If the late applicates decided to apply post deadline than that's their choice.
piemom

Post by piemom »

CardyMow wrote:Please try to read around my daft typo's!

Kate = late. Tewated = treated. I think the first was Autocorrect and the second was fat fingers! :roll:
Whatever you decide: GOOD LUCK!! It sounds like grammar is where he belongs :)
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

From what I can see, what CRGS and Southend have done last years were unfair to the late applicants.
Schools do not offer places from the waiting list - the LEA do until 1st September. Only after that does the waiting list lie with the school.
Dulcemilla

Post by Dulcemilla »

Cardymow and others

I can sympathise with you completely. My DS took the 11plus, unfortunately at the time of having illness and achieved 338.9 well below expected score. He is level 5a for 1 subject and extension group level 6 for the others. He is in top sets for all subjects. We were told that he was most definitely a grammar candidate not only in ability but in attitude. I was so deeply disappointed and felt low for some time after results came out. I know that appears pathetic but I genuinely felt gutted. However, I opened my eyes to alternative education and we have just registered him for a fantastic indie. With classes ranging from 7 to 15 pupils, my DS found it homely friendly and exciting. Coincidently his friend did not get place at CRGS either, And has just had viewing/open day at local comp and absolutely loved it. (As well as his parents).

Now the truth comes out! My DS tells me yesterday that he found CRGS, old fashioned, cold, and robotic. However after visiting the indie he came out delighted, the same as his friend did after his visit to local comp. My point being if your DS gets into CRGS there is no doubt that he will have exceptional education and Of course its the top academically i don't deny it. However there are other schools around who have so much to offer. As suited to the grammar as I thought my DS was I can't believe we have actually found something more suitable for him. I would appeal and fight for your place for your DS at CRGS but during the process check out as many alternatives as you can. You never know?? And just like us you may find one you actually like more. We are aware that our DS is in a reasonable position on the waiting list for CRGS however, because of our complete U turn then we will be removing him from the list so the boy below and others can move up.

Good luck to all
dez

Post by dez »

Minesatea wrote:Anyone can make a late application to any school, however they are generally not looked at until after 1st March so assuming the school to be full your DC would go on the waiting list according to the admission policy. Thus if a child has missed out on a place at say KEGS, parents can look at the cut off scores for the other grammar schools, realise that their DS would have got a place at eg. SHSB and so make a late application. Also after your place has been allocated in March you can decide that you would have preferred one of your lower preferences and ask to go on the waiting list for that (I read of a boy on another thread who has been offered kegs but now wants CRGS as that is where his friends are going).

This is from ECC policy:
Late applications
Applications received after the published closing date will be treated as late applications unless there is evidence or you provide evidence to show that the application could not reasonably have been made on time. A new preference or change in the order of preferences will not be accepted after the closing date unless the circumstances are deemed to be exceptional. Late applications will be given a lower priority and will be dealt with after all on time applications in the first round of offers on 1 March 2013. Where a school is oversubscribed late applications will be refused and ranked according to the admission criteria on any waiting list held for
the particular school. All late applications will be considered by an LA panel of officers to ascertain whether exceptional circumstances for late submission exist. Where that is deemed to be the case the application will be treated as ‘on time’. Where a school is oversubscribed late applications received after the first round of offers on 1 March 2013 will be refused and ranked according to the admission criteria on a waiting list held for the
particular school.
Having read the ECC School Admission Policy again, I have noted ECC have classified applicates who want to apply to any other schools not on their CAF after 01/03/2013 as "new applicants" rather than "late applicants". For applicants simply want to change to a lower preference school they only need to let School Admission know and their application to that particular school will be activated and the DC's name put on the waiting list. "Late applicants" are only refer to DCs who have submitted their CAF after 31/10/2012. Sorry for the confusion.
KB

Post by KB »

Dulcemilla -
I am delighted that your DS has found a school that suits him

but for others who are considering/have a place at CRGS I would just like to reassure that after years of experience with DCs, it is absolutely not 'cold' or 'robotic'. It does have traditional values but thats not necessarily the same as being 'old-fashioned'. Its not perfect and its not going to suit every child and of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion but just felt a balancing perspective might be waranted.

Do so hope that everyone's DCs find a place that they are happy and can thrive.
sohappymum

Post by sohappymum »

Hi
Just feel I have to say CRGS is a fantastic school not at all cold, old fashioned or robotic !
My son is in current year 9 and has enjoyed every opportunity he has had .The school is warm , staff friendly and I know when I viewed the school I had a great feeling that this was the best school!!!

Stick it out on waiting lists it worked for us !!!

sohappymum
Dulcemilla

Post by Dulcemilla »

I completely agree KB and others

I found the school traditional and really splendid. I have two male friends who went there. They are not big earners but have decent careers. Both are well educated, pleasant and thoroughly decent people. They have had a wonderful secondary education and both hold fond memories from their time at CRGS.

It was my DS who found it cold and old fashioned and he did not admit this to us until after he had visited another school. He then proceeded to tell us that he did not like it at CRGS and did not wish to remain on the waiting list. This is just his opinion. I only documented this here as a little reassurance to others on the waiting list that as much as we feel our DC'S are suited to grammar, sometimes, just sometimes there is something else out there more suitable. When we decided to actively look at alternatives we did manage to find a school that is very high achieving and makes my DS excited and happy about the transition to secondary education. I believe we should give up our place on the waiting list as going on information from past years means he will probably end up getting an offer. I will be pleased to give it up for someone else who genuinely wants it. Good luck to all x
Manana

Post by Manana »

dez wrote:The deadline for accepting or declining an offer is the 15/03/2013, so all parents and DCs have 2 weeks to decide whether to accept/decline or change their preference if their DCs have a high enough 11+ score to get near the top of the waiting list to give them a realistic chance of getting a place.
Those must be the Essex dates. In Southend, we have until Thursday 22nd March to accept/decline a secondary school place-just in case this helps anyone.
piemom

Post by piemom »

If anyone's interested, Southend make their process very clear:

Changes to the order of school
preferences

If you wish to change the order of your
preferences, that is, same schools but a different
order, then these will be accepted until the end
of the working day on 14th November 2012.
Alterations to preferences will only be accepted
if they are made in writing by letter, fax or email.
Alterations will not be made on the basis of a
telephone call.
Alterations to the order of preferences received
after 14th November 2012 will be considered
after the first reallocation of places after the
22nd March 2013.
Additional Applications made
after 1st March 2013

An Additional Application is an application for a
new school which was not on your original list
of preferences. Any such additional application
will not be considered and added to the waiting
list until the first reallocation of school places
has been completed after 22nd March 2013.
After that date it will be considered alongside all
other applicants with a strict application of the
school’s admissions criteria.

It should be noted that a different system may
apply if you are applying to a school in another
Local Authority, for example, Essex. You should
consult the scheme details for the other Local
Authority.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now