Music Deparment at CRGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mikedellfarm

Music Deparment at CRGS

Post by mikedellfarm »

Can anyone give me more information on the music department at CRGS. Does the school use VMT's (visiting music teachers) ? Do they arrange lessons or is that something done after school ? Just any advice please, many thanks.
KB

Re: Music Deparment at CRGS

Post by KB »

The department is great :)
They have had brilliant heads of department in the past who have built up a really thriving centre and have just appointed a new head this year who is equally skilled and enthusiastic.
It has its own building slightly away from the main school, which encourages 'music types' to hang out together and explore a range of skills and talents.
There are regular concerts and an annual overseas tour.
There is a fantastic choir and orchestra but also a range of smaller ensembles and the boys are encouarged to develop modern bands as well.

On a practical level - individual lessons are taken by visiting teachers. You should get forms to opt in to this (possibly at the new intake evening) but you can always call the school office to check.
The downside is that boys go out of normal lessons to their music lessons (break and lunch time slots are reserved for year 11 - 13) so this can be disruptive.

They did introduce learning of an instrument into standard music lessons at one point if I recall correctly but this was after my youngest had passed that stage and it might have been a trial - I think they had violoins and african drums?

Choir and ensemble practices take place both at lunch times and after school.

They do have auditions for the choir but they aren't difficult - there is an inclusive attitude for the main choir ( which makes the performances more amazing!
Other groups are more selective and of varying levels.

For more info have a look at the school web site - both the under the academic and the extra curricular sections

Hope ths helps - sorry for any over-enthusiasm :) Two of my DCs have absolutely loved being involved (one is reasonably able musically but the other not particularly great! - it caters for al levels)
mikedellfarm

Re: Music Deparment at CRGS

Post by mikedellfarm »

Thank you so much for your response, I will pm you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now