Verbal Reasoning Question Type - Mirror Code

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mikedellfarm

Verbal Reasoning Question Type - Mirror Code

Post by mikedellfarm »

Can anyone help please ? I downloaded a number of the Visuteach.com Verbal Reasoning Sample Tests to take on our Easter Hols (yes we have that much fun on holiday :D ). Whilst using a 2011 paper we came across a Mirror Code type question.

"This question is a "mirror code" type question. The letter W is four places in from the right end of the alphabet and its "mirror" is the letter that is four places in from the left end of the alphabet. So the "mirror" of W is the letter D ... " (copyright Visuteach 2011) and so on.

I have not come across this whilst going through the IPS VR type question books and wondered if we would ever come across this in the CSSE examinations ?
Last edited by mikedellfarm on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reading Mum

Re: Verbal Reasoning Question Type - Mirror Code

Post by Reading Mum »

I can't answer for CSSE but Mirror codes are quite common in GL Assess. Worth covering the technique - it's covered in Patricia's VR help
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

We found a good way of spotting these was to remember the vowel mirrors. A to Z is easy. O to L my Dd remembered as they are both in her name. E to V was the name of a friend Evie, and I can't remember U :oops:

Almost all words have a vowel in.
moved

Post by moved »

These are needed for Essex. I trained children to look for them first.

Have fun and make up your own pairs. One of my pupils did ugly feet, evil villains was another.

Artistic zebras, yummy buns, xrayed crabs, wild dogs, etc.

Another pupil made a beautifully illustrated poster, hers were all animals and took a lot of time!
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Thats brilliant, thank you.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

There is a list in this post, as well as some help on how do do these

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... es#p302082" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now