Tutor blues and insecurity

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

AustinR

Tutor blues and insecurity

Post by AustinR »

My dd will be sitting for Chelmsford this year.

We did previously have a maths tutor who dropped out on us last month.I called a local tutor who is known to ask about maths tuition, but was told although they could teach my dd she would never be able to pass without also doing 2 extra lessons a week of English and VR as well which all fall on the weekends- bringing up the total for £45 a week for group classes, which already sounds like a huge number.DD already has three extra-curricular activities on the weekends which would literally leave us with 30 mins to get from the tutors place to her original 3 hour dance class.Am I mad to consider not taking up the place unless they offer only maths. I am scared I may not be able to do this on my own, but I really didn't like they way they put my dd down and they haven't even met her yet! Please can anyone offer any hope before i am driven even more insane. :lol:
hermanmunster

Re: Tutor blues and insecurity

Post by hermanmunster »

Must be an amazing tutor being able to tell all this without even seeing the child!

hmmm - suspect they say that to all the parents who call - at "£45 / week per child it is a very good earner as many of the kids will either not need that much help or will never get through even with lots more help.

Suspect you need to look around a bit more or perhaps DIY?
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

That is shocking ! I would DIY and steer well clear of that organisation.

Does DD need additional help in English and VR or are those her stronger areas ?

In regard to her Maths do you not feel confident in downloading some of the excellent software packages, listed on this site, that could guide her through ?
talea51

Post by talea51 »

Like the others that have replied, I think you'd be better off looking for someone else or DIY.

In my opinion, a good tutor would assess the child first, look at where there are areas that need more focus and tell you what those are and what needs to be worked on.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
hongkong

Post by hongkong »

I am a tutor ,not for 11 plus,but for
Kids who are a bit behind. I would never tell someone a child needs x amount of lessons without seeing them first. It will be very hard to find a tutor now as they get som booked up. I would keep looking for one,whilst tutoring yourself. Buy a selection of 11 plus stuff verbal,maths and English and work through them. Remember you have the whole of the summer too.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Silly question, but since CCHS will be CEM, is she not trying to sting you another few quid a week for NVR?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

ToadMum wrote:Silly question, but since CCHS will be CEM, is she not trying to sting you another few quid a week for NVR?
I was thinking the same thing...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

....also the VR is apparently not "CSSE" VR, either - if this is what the tutor is offering, steer well clear...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
AustinR

Post by AustinR »

Thanks for all the replies.

I had initially agreed to meet them on Saturday but will be cancelling. I have a phobia of maths myself but i guess just need more faith- I can teach maths to a 10 year old! I was told the extras and nvr nvr was to keep the kids sharp :lol:
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Good on you, hang in there, you can do this.