First term in grammar school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
seriousmum

First term in grammar school

Post by seriousmum »

Hi all, please does anyone know how I can get hold of a detailed curriculum for yr 7, particularly CRGS? Just trying to work out what DS should expect in year 7. Any information will be appreciated.
Guest55

Re: First term in grammar school

Post by Guest55 »

Have you looked on their website?

Schools should post their curriculum on their website.
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

Thanks Guest55. The curriculum looks a bit vague but I will keep searching thanks for responding.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Ds has just finished year 10, and I don't remember ever being given any documents regarding the details of the curiculum. As an accadamy the school can set its own now so a general year 7 one may not be helpful.
If you have any specific questions, I can ask DS if he can remember, although it may have changed!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/too ... egulations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rules changed in September 2012 about what needs to be on a website ...
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

Thank you both.
toolate

Post by toolate »

Anyone doing 'work' over the holidays...keep meaning to get out some bond maths books but it never quite happens....if everyone else is trying to keep their sons brains fit, the it might motivate me....
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Students who do nothing over the six weeks of the summer holidays go backwards. This was one of the reasons our school moved their CATS tests to June of Y6 from September of Y7. it is just so easy to do ten mins a day but it is a personal choice of course. DG
KB

Post by KB »

Once he starts he will get texts books for most subjects so you can then get an idea of what is going on.
The curriculum will change by greater or lesser amounts on a regular basis so the experience of what was done a few years ago will not necessarily be true for the new intake.
I wouldn't try to prepare him specifically as he will more likely get bored when term starts!

In Maths it is almost certainly a good idea to keep things ticking over - but with the harder year 6 stuff rather than pushing forward too much - and possibly with French.
If he already done some then keep that ticking over or if he hasn't done any then maybe just a bit of fun oral work (masses of web sites) so he isn't totally phased by it. Most of the boys wont have done formal French in the way it is done at secondary school so no need to worry but if he isn't familiar with speaking at all then he might be happier if has tried a few words beforehand.

When he does start in September the school encourages parents to keep track of what is going on especially by keeping an eye on homework. Obviously there is no point in doing it for them! but you can check it looks presentable and reasonable effort has been made etc. If there are problems then staff prefer the boys to ask for help straight away rather than waiting until homework is due in and most will respond to emails from the boys if they need help. Sometimes you can help by reading through a text book with them and talking it through to help them figure it our for themselves. Many boys will still need guidance for homework that requires research.

The school also uses Moodle and some homeworks will be detailed on that.

They are pretty good at settling the boys in at the start of term so no need to worry - but do encourage DS to write details of homework in his Diary and make sure that he understands what is needed before he leaves the classroom :)

Hope some of this helps.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Daogroupie, having got my dd2 to do her reading and log for half an hour a day, should she be doing any work for CAT test? I wasn't planning to.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now