Colchester County High School - Kit & Equipment Thread 2013

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bravado

Re: Colchester County High School - Kit & Equipment Thread 2

Post by bravado »

Having started this thread, perhaps I should post something about how we've found the kit situation to work in reality. :D

We pretty much got everything on the list - we didn't buy a lacrosse or hockey stick. I asked DD2 if she felt there was anything that she didn't use and the only thing that came to mind, was the gumshield. I don't doubt she will use it as she progresses through the school but to-date, it sits in its box, shaped-to-fit but still yet pristine :lol: Every item of the PE kit has been used and I can verify this, by the mud-stains I've tried to remove following rugby :lol:

We did wonder if the astro boots would be used but she has used them a great deal and apparently, she has been very popular when friends have forgotten their trainers :wink:

The only thing I could add, is that I wish we could find a bag that stood the test of time and didn't cause shoulder/back pain. :? We are loathe to buy a hugely expensive rucksack as they give DD2 pain.
KB

Post by KB »

Amazed the gum shields aren't compulsory. I would strongly recommend them.

The best rucksacks are those that have the straps coming from a wide band at the top rather than two individual straps ( spreads the load so less likely to rip) and with a waist band so weight isn't all on the shoulders.
bravado

Post by bravado »

KB wrote:Amazed the gum shields aren't compulsory. I would strongly recommend them.

The best rucksacks are those that have the straps coming from a wide band at the top rather than two individual straps ( spreads the load so less likely to rip) and with a waist band so weight isn't all on the shoulders.

We've tried pretty much every trick in the book as far as rucksacks are concerned and I don't think they're for her. In her chosen competitive sport, we have to make sure her shoulders aren't under stress, as it effects her performance :cry: I'm not really sure there's an answer, to be honest.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Might not be the answer for your DD Bravado, but I can recommend Jeep rucksacks to everyone else.
DD and DH have the same one (different colours so they don't take the wrong one), has 4 separate compartments and can be compressed down with the side straps if only partly filled. DD had a jeep one at primary for 3 years and definitely can stand the test of time, the only reason I got her a new one was it wasn't big enough for all her stuff at secondary and it gets used as a spare day rucksack by myself and DD when required. Still looks almost new.
bravado

Post by bravado »

Tinkers wrote:Might not be the answer for your DD Bravado, but I can recommend Jeep rucksacks to everyone else.
DD and DH have the same one (different colours so they don't take the wrong one), has 4 separate compartments and can be compressed down with the side straps if only partly filled. DD had a jeep one at primary for 3 years and definitely can stand the test of time, the only reason I got her a new one was it wasn't big enough for all her stuff at secondary and it gets used as a spare day rucksack by myself and DD when required. Still looks almost new.
That sounds brilliant Tinkers :D
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

I agree - the Jeep backpacks are really sturdy and you can get them for a reasonable price from TKMaxx.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The guy in the bag shop opposite Aldgate tube station does a pretty hard sell when it comes to his stock of Jeep bags, too, so guess what DS2 chose yesterday? We were quite happy, though, as they usually last very well - I used to have a small Jeep backpack which took several years of daily use before it started to fall to pieces :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
bravado

Post by bravado »

Does anyone have any suggestions for bags other than rucksacks?
KB

Post by KB »

Seeing them walking to and fro, many have over sized handbag/messenger bag Cath Kidson style.

My advice from getting caught out in the past, is to start with something you already have/cheap option that can be used elsewhere and wait to see what the trend is. I'm not one for fashion over practicality but bags are very obvious and most children want to fit in with their peers.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

DD has her PE kit in a small sports holdall as her instrument is worn backpack style and she often seems to have to take both!
something like this:
http://www.sportsdirect.com/slazenger-s ... all-702003

She ends up with a book bag on one side, sports bag on the other and instrument on her back. She looks like a pack horse but is pretty well balanced! :lol: