Surprise Successes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jojo2305

Surprise Successes

Post by jojo2305 »

Hi All, I keep reading about the dc who unfortunately fluffed up their exams but what I would like to know if they have been any surprise successes on the big day. My dd's school had arranged a tutor for any children that would like to come in early once a week and take part in the 11+ club. We decided that in the few weeks leading up to the exam that she wouldn't go to the club because we thought she had worked hard enough. My dh bumped into her tutor today and he was surprised that my dd hadn't returned to the club after summer. He enquired how she got on at CCHS and my dh replied 'fine'. The tutor then said he wished her good luck for the CSSE exam, fingers crossed as she was borderline. She did a mock and got 69.75% which on comparison with the years papers she did would of got her into most GS. Are there any parents out there who have had their dc's give their most outstanding performance in the actual exams? Thanks in advance for any replies :D
jojo2305

Re: Surprise Successes

Post by jojo2305 »

I think that the lack of replies answers my original question. Borderline my dd may be but she is already a winner to me!
Morgan0210

Post by Morgan0210 »

Hi,
I would take what the tutor said with a pinch of salt, for tutor to say that after sounds like she wasn't happy your child hasn't returned? The score u mention is a very good score, my dd went to a Tutor where a lot of extremely bright children went too and from mocks top scores were around 80% my dd always scored around 70% which tutor Says is very good! Hth x
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

Morgan0210 wrote:Hi,
I would take what the tutor said with a pinch of salt, for tutor to say that after sounds like she wasn't happy your child hasn't returned? The score u mention is a very good score, my dd went to a Tutor where a lot of extremely bright children went too and from mocks top scores were around 80% my dd always scored around 70% which tutor Says is very good! Hth x
I agree with that - it sounds to me like sour grapes from the tutor - your dd's score is a fine score especially if in catchment.
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
jojo2305

Post by jojo2305 »

Thank you Morgan, puts my mind at ease a little. I know no one can say for sure if a child will pass but just wanted to know that she still had a chance x
jojo2305

Post by jojo2305 »

Araucana girl wrote:
I agree with that - it sounds to me like sour grapes from the tutor - your dd's score is a fine score especially if in catchment.
Again, thanks Araucana, hope it is enough x
Morgan0210

Post by Morgan0210 »

jojo2305 wrote:
Thank you Morgan, puts my mind at ease a little. I know no one can say for sure if a child will pass but just wanted to know that she still had a chance x
Your daughter has a great chance, if the mocks you've done are csse papers and they've been done like in exam conditions timed ect... I would no way say your daughter was borderline! Personally I'd say scores 50-60% were borderline ! Anyway good luck my dd is currently ill so just praying here she perks up by Friday ready for Saturday x
moved

Post by moved »

When I tutored I often ended up with children who had been told they weren't good enough by other tutors.

Goodness knows why people need to be so negative. They all went on to gain places at great schools. One came 12th in Chelmsford!

Go for it. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now