As we go into into the last 48 hours before 21/09...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bravado

As we go into into the last 48 hours before 21/09...

Post by bravado »

I want to wish you all the very best of luck :D

May your homes be filled with peace, calm and confidence. Try to get your DC's to bed early tonight with anything that relaxes them ie a bath or story because tomorrow night, many of you will probably have difficulty getting them off to sleep.

Try to keep them hydrated - don't get stressed-out about it but be aware that it's important to keep that brain well-oiled with "concentration-juice" ie water and especially so in the 48 hours before the test. This is a tip we learned through our competitive sport.

Many suggest that a diet heavy in carbs should be avoided for brain performance and that protein is the key.

If your child hasn't already had a meltdown, then please be aware that it could well happen in the next 48 hours. Be prepared for an unexpected breakdown caused by nerves, fear and a general crisis of confidence. They may well say they don't want to do it. Give loads of hugs and reassurance that they're well prepared and that you know they'll do their very best.

Please feel free to ask questions on here...there's always loads of advice and reassurance and most importantly, support.

I won't be around until lunch-time but I'll pop-in for a group-hug and team talk :lol:
talea51

Re: As we go into into the last 48 hours before 21/09...

Post by talea51 »

Thanks as always for your fabulous advice Bravado, much appreciated.

I don't know about dd having a meltdown, yesterday she told me she is quietly confident but I am on my last nerve! I have had a number of teary episodes this week and I know it's due to nerves for her. She was up early this morning because of a bad dream so I will be trying to get her into bed early tonight and I am going for an aromatherapy massage this evening because I really do need to de-stress!

I can't wait for this all to be over.
Morgan0210

Post by Morgan0210 »

My daughter still ill in bed cough sounds so chesty, throat sore her eyes look dead but no temperature! She's confident she's going to be better tomorrow in not so sure arghhh stress !!!
akha

Post by akha »

Thank you, bravado! It is so hard to hide the emotions, not to spook DS.... was driving to Sainsbury's the other day with DS2 at the back, who wouldn't stop talking in his very cute baby voice " my big brother is very smart , isn't he? He will do well wherever he goes, but he will hammer (nail? :D ) that naughty exam!" That triggered trembling lips ( my lips), so popped in his toddler songs cd... And there was that song about that favourite toy none knew what it was, and how she grew and gave that toy to her own little boy and his eyes almost popped out of his head.... And that was it, I saw my "little boy" as a baby .... All in all, had to pull over to compose myself :roll: :oops:
I promised him no work whatsoever on Thursday and Friday;long walk through the park with his friends instead. He was very happy about it. And guess what, after tucking him in at 8.30 , he came downstairs at 9.45 and said he'd prefer to do some work on those days as it would give him comfort.. I can only imagine what is going on in their little heads and hearts... Godspeed to all!
cetaylormade

Post by cetaylormade »

Thanks bravado :D my dd hasn't had a meltdown as such - wise or unwise we have not donw work these last 2 weeks as felt it would stress her out to much leading up to each of the exams. However she was off school the last 2 days with nothing really wrong but just very sleepy so wondering whether it is the stress getting to her :?
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

Thanks Bravado, nerves haven't hit dd yet but she did do CCHS last weekend so it is probably a bit less daunting now. Going to be in a much bigger hall tomorrow though :?

Good luck everyone for Saturday.
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
djy76

Post by djy76 »

We have not done any work this week, DS outwardly chilled though we have insisted on quiet evenings and early nights..

I am a completely different story!!! :oops: The only thing chilled about me last night was the glass of white wine in my hand most of the evening...

Roll on Saturday evening...
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

LOL - this exercise only makes me drink more ! How are we going to cope between Saturday and the results.. and then if we're borderline what then? Being totally frank I'd really like either a NOT A CHANCE or YOU'RE IN.... how many more hair and nail products would I have to buy if its a MAYBE ? I don't wish to offend anyone but I have to make light of this situation as my son hacks and snuffles and coughs away in the other room.. totally adamant he is sitting it on Saturday.
bravado

Post by bravado »

mikedellfarm wrote:LOL - this exercise only makes me drink more ! How are we going to cope between Saturday and the results.. and then if we're borderline what then? Being totally frank I'd really like either a NOT A CHANCE or YOU'RE IN.... how many more hair and nail products would I have to buy if its a MAYBE ? I don't wish to offend anyone but I have to make light of this situation as my son hacks and snuffles and coughs away in the other room.. totally adamant he is sitting it on Saturday.

I don't think that anyone would be offended, bearing in mind what you and your DS have gone through over the last week. Gallows humour helps in situations like this. The unknown is a difficult place to find oneself in - especially with children in the equation. Keep on here, that's all I can say! :lol:
TGIN

Post by TGIN »

Thank you Bravado,
I've tried to slow DS down but adamant he wants to revise more! Just need to get it over with now and hope I will be able to properly between now and results !