Exceptional circumstances for missing exam on 21st

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesatea

Re: Exceptional circumstances for missing exam on 21st

Post by Minesatea »

The papers are definitely different for the alternative date. The reason for the request not to discuss them is because if there is a sudden change to the format ( like a couple of years ago when the english changed significantly) this knowledge could be helpful.
With regard to your other points:
with most dc preparing for a year at least, I dont think one week will make much difference.
My son sat his first sitting in a classroom, whereas the second sitting at colchester the other year was mixed ( girls and boys) in a large hall!
Why is a morning sitting an advantage? DD had a mid morning sitting 11am which I thought was much better than her brothers 8:30 as it gave more time to digest breakfast, travel etc.

My DC's also sat aptitude tests for another school. Theirs was fortunately the week before the 11 plus but there was no alternative date available for that exam unlike the 11 plus so I would expect the CSSE to agree exceptional circumstances in the case of a clash. The information pack just states that exceptional circumstances must be discussed with them and evidence produced. I would think a letter showing another exam entry on the same day would suffice.
District9Mum

Post by District9Mum »

Thanks for your thoughts Minesatea - really helpful and reassuring.
bravado

Post by bravado »

District9Mum wrote:Hi HD,

Sorry for the confusion!

I am reassured to hear that you think the papers are different, but confused as a moderator for Essex "stickied" a thread to remind users not to discuss the papers until after the alternative date.

The perceived advantages, in my mind, would be threefold:
1) an extra week prep, with the potential disclosure of the English Paper text (if papers are the same)
2) a smaller cohort sitting the exam so less intimidating for candidate
3) a morning sitting

As you know, a few marks can differentiate significantly!

I have my doubts that parents of said child have acted fairly. Mostly though, I feel sad for the DC.

I'm so glad that in my absence, Minesatea was able to reassure you :D

Minesatea has it pretty much on the button :D If I may, I'd like to add a little more to help answer your points and I hope that it's useful?

1) For those who have to do the alternative sitting, especially those who are ill, the extra week's wait can be "torture", rather than a blessing. It may well add to the stress levels - most DC's and DP's are fully "cooked" by the 1st sitting date and whilst it may look like an opportunity to cram in a few more test papers, any work is pretty irrelevant, that close the to the exam. Many find rest more beneficial than work at that stage. I think those DP's on here who have had to re-schedule for poorly children, may reassure you that they would rather have been able to have done it last Saturday, than wait until 30th :D

1 & 2 ) I was ill when the rest of my cohort sat the 11+ and I was very unhappy. I was very anxious in the run-up to the first test and then I became too ill to take it. The anxiety the second-time around for the re-sit was ten-times worse than the first - utterly excruciating :( Whilst everyone else had forgotten all about it, I still had to go through it. I'd have done anything to have sat it with everyone else on the right day and in the hall.

As I was a "re-sit", I had to sit the test in a small room in my school - there were only 2 4th Year classes who had originally sat the test. I felt doubly anxious and would have given anything for the anonymity of a large hall. Small cohorts won't always benefit a candidate.

3) Some of us are morning people and some of us aren't :D It's pretty much horses for courses - some children don't spring to life until 1 o'clock. :D a morning sitting won't necessarily be good for everyone.

These things are not all always clear-cut and without being privvy to all the details, we can only talk in general terms. I think that a call the the CSSE may prove helpful: but I hope that we've been able to reassure you a little. :D
moved

Post by moved »

Getting into a grammar is highly competitive. I am lucky both of mine got in. It didn't stop me putting them in for scholarships. Our first choice was always the grammars but poor DS had a scholarship exam the Monday before and an interview the day before his 11+. I couldn't have moved either of those, but wouldn't have wanted to sacrifice the grammar chance. Fortunately, people find out what their child has scored much earlier reducing this additional pressure.

I'm glad the CSSE are this accommodating and those children who have to take multiple tests are already disadvantaged by the increase in stress.
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

My lad came down with a sore throat 4 days before the exam and a blocked nose on the day. But he was adamant to take the first sitting, and I was happy with his call. We both felt another 9 days would have been unbareable.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now