So what are the tactics now, in catchment for SHSB/WHSB ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jim's Dad

So what are the tactics now, in catchment for SHSB/WHSB ?

Post by Jim's Dad »

Writing this at 4.45am....zonked out but woke up around 3am and couldn't stop thinking. :shock:

Relieved that DS passed, in fact delighted that it was a pass, nothing will ever change that, doesn't matter what the score was, it will always be a pass....a couple of marks less and no sleep at all I would guess.

But with only 304.18 even though he is in catchment I guess it's squeaky bottom time whether he gets into his preferred school, which at the moment is SHSB.

Going to the open dates per guidance sheet which may change things, with the reality of probably going to the school rather than the mass open events previously.

But, assuming still preferring SHSB, could we scupper our DS' chances by him putting SHSB as first preference and not having a good enough score, and there being too many putting WHSB as their first preference and others with WHSB as their second choice with a score better than our DS, meaning he misses out on both ??

Do they tell you ahead of 31/10 whether 304.18 gets you into SHSB ?
Is there a chance that 304.18 gets DS into neither ?

Any insight gratefully appreciated... :)
MacPac

Re: So what are the tactics now, in catchment for SHSB/WHSB

Post by MacPac »

At the meeting last year the parents were told there were enough in catchment places for those that had passed across the two schools. I assume they'll do the same this time too. If all the in catchment boys apply for SHSB then some might not get their first choice but will get WHSB. So if you put both down in your order of preference you're highly likely to get a place in one of the schools. I know a boy who got into SHSB last year with a similar score to your DS.

Going on previous years you're guaranteed a place at your first choice but with not knowing if there's a dramatic increase of in catchment passes it's difficult to say.

Going through the scores not many have SHSB as their first choice so that's a good thing as the less applying the better your chances. :D
KB

Post by KB »

I am pretty sure that admissions criteria were changed a few years ago so now where you place the school in your list of preferences cannot be taken into account - thus if you have placed a school second on your list but have a higher score than someone who has placed that school first then you would still be awarded the place.
Check the schools admissions booklet for your area.

The preference order is only important in the sense that the team will try to place you in your first choice school and only if this is not possible will they look at placing you in your second choice etc.
So it is essential that you list the schools in the real order of preference.
If you put your second choice school first on the list because you think you have more chance of getting in and then you do indeed qualify for a place then your second choice school will not be looked at, so even if you have got a score that would be high enough you wont be offered a place.
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

KB is absolutely right. Doesn't matter whether you put WHSB first or second. If you score highly enough to get a place and you don't qualify for your higher choice, then you definitely get the place.

At last years info meeting, Dr. Bevan confirmed that all scores of 303 i/c would get a place at either WHSB or SHSB because not enough passed to fill their i/c places, so they may have that info again this year.

Just put your schools in the order you want them!
Last edited by mum of boys on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dez

Post by dez »

Both KS and mum of boys are spot on! You just have to put both on the CAF. As to which school 1st or 2nd preference is up to you and your DS. Good Luck!
#proudmum

Post by #proudmum »

Hello,

Our DD's score was 306.179 and in catchment for SHSG/WHSG.

We are hoping as in previous years as over the 303 mark this score will be fine for a place, but would be keen to find out if this will be the case for this year.

You have mentioned this was said at the meeting last year, could you please advise as to what meeting this was. Is it the 'Enquiry Visit' that you can attend once you have your score???

Thank you.
KB

Post by KB »

Exactly right! :)
#proudmum

Post by #proudmum »

Thank you! fingers crossed!
Flanker3105

Post by Flanker3105 »

I'm glad I'm not the only one in this position! I was beginning to wonder post-results if there was any point to the pass mark if it was just a line in the sand.

I worked out, hopefully correctly, that the whole point of taking the exam at your school of choice was to give the schools and CSSE an indication of demand which can now be skewed by those in the SS0 to SS9 area who took the exam at, say, St Thomas More hoping for a better exam environment and who now intend to apply for SHSB / WHSB (apologies girls if I leave you out, but same applies for the Girl's schools). I'm probably overthinking it, which is surprising given how little sleep i've had since Friday.

Which of the two Southend Grammars for boys is likely to be in highest demand for those in the proximity area?
#proudmum

Post by #proudmum »

Yes totally agree... so proud and relieved to get a pass mark and felt confident at first from the colour coded scoring sheet, but now the doubts started to set in if it is still enough with the larger proximity of postcodes.

Why can't a pass mark be a 'pass mark', you have definitely got a place, don't think I can cope until next March!!!

You are not alone we have been over thinking/ over analysing every aspect!

Sorry cannot be of any help on the boys schools for demand but wish you good luck!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now