KEGS or WHSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum of boys

Re: KEGS or WHSB

Post by mum of boys »

beetroot2 wrote:Mum of boys I was very interested in your comments about WHSB especially as you have two DS there. At the enquiry day we were told that the pupils are not streamed in maths until Yr 10. I would be interested to hear your views on this.
Difficult one! The change was brought in after DS1 had started in year 7 and as a secondary school Maths teacher (in my previous, pre-children life?!), I was a little worried. However, DS1, who is a fairly able mathematician, has continued to progress well in Maths and the lack of setting doesn't seem to have been an issue. Whether he would be doing even better if they had been setted, I can't say. Now in year 10, the top set are doing Maths and additional Maths GCSE, the next 2 or 3 sets are doing Maths and a separate Statistics GCSE, and the other sets (another 3?) are just doing Maths.

I have to admit that I am a fan of setting in Maths, but it wouldn't be enough to put me off the school. Funnily enough, they have been set in science and Foreign Languages since year 9 (possibly even year 8 - can't quite remember).

Good luck with your decision
beetroot2

Re: KEGS or WHSB

Post by beetroot2 »

Thank you very much for your helpful reply.