school run from chelmsford to colchester royal grammer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Hopefuldad

Re: school run from chelmsford to colchester royal grammer

Post by Hopefuldad »

push-pull-mum wrote:
Minesatea wrote:I personnally would not describe North Hill as an easy walk! I practically have an asthma attack everytime I get to the top :oops:
I reckon it must be 25-30 minute walk from North Station to CRGS - that's an hour of walking a day, on top of the train journey. :?
There must be a bus that goes from station to CRGS !!!
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Hopefuldad wrote:
push-pull-mum wrote:
Minesatea wrote:I personnally would not describe North Hill as an easy walk! I practically have an asthma attack everytime I get to the top :oops:
I reckon it must be 25-30 minute walk from North Station to CRGS - that's an hour of walking a day, on top of the train journey. :?
There must be a bus that goes from station to CRGS !!!
There are a choice of buses up the hill but it does add to the cost - and the buses have been known to sit in traffic for longer than it takes to walk up it.
sleeplessinhalstead

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

A number of children use the no. 65 which goes up Lexden Rd, but the traffic is bad in the morning rush hour. We don't use the train/bus but others have posted on here about it before if you search. From memory I think others have said you would need to arrive in Colchester around 8am to be sure you make it to school on time.

I think there are a number of children travelling from Chelmsford to Colchester by bus. I don't know the service no. but I am sure someone will advise you soon.
moved

Post by moved »

We are looking at CRGS for sixth form for DD. There is a yellow school bus that runs from Chelmsford bus station and takes an hour. The other choice that was recommended to us is to take the train to Marks Tey and then the bus, 71A. This will be a more costly option for us as DD will be over 16, but does provide the flexibility to participate after school.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

moved wrote:We are looking at CRGS for sixth form for DD. There is a yellow school bus that runs from Chelmsford bus station and takes an hour. The other choice that was recommended to us is to take the train to Marks Tey and then the bus, 71A. This will be a more costly option for us as DD will be over 16, but does provide the flexibility to participate after school.
Can you get Scholars Season tickets for CRGS and / or PlusBus from Marks Tey? DS1 is 16 but with the Scholars season his rail ticket for SHSG is the same as DD's (5 or 10% off the child rate) and as it is a proper annual season ticket, they can be used for non-school trips into town as well.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
bravado

Post by bravado »

Nor would I, it's especially arduous when trying to negotiate your way past Colchester 6th Form College students at sundry and random points during the day. I've tried to work out when it's safe , thus avoiding the crowds -haven't managed it so far :wink:

Poor DD2's bag for ColCHS is heavy, I reckon she's hoping to join the Armed Forces when she leaves school - she'll be well-prepared for Bergen runs :D (That's when soldiers go on runs with their backpacks full to the gunnels, to improve their fitness and stamina levels)
crgsmum

Post by crgsmum »

The 525 takes an hours from Chelmsford railway station to school.

I have heard that there is a mini-cab co in Colchester which collects boys after extra-curricular activities and does a run to the railway station in Colchester. Another option could therefore be to see whether anyone else has DCs coming to the grammars by train and then see if you could arrange a shuttle in Colchester.
essex_2014

Post by essex_2014 »

hi PinkLady

I checked with the CSSE office and there are 2 bus providers (on CSSE website) which do the school run from chelmsford to CRGS. it takes about an hour and they start from 7.30 in the morning and drop back at approx 16:40. I am not sure about other smaller private hires. I will be getting more info when I visit the school on 24th
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now