Not long to wait now - how is everyone feeling?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Post by Guest »

The problem really is that it is far too easy to post without a name at the top - like I am doing now. I registered, but found it impossible to use my registered name - some forums require that you are registered and I think it prevents people from being rude because you would need to change your pseudonym if you wanted to post again.

It is unusual for a forum not to require one to register.

Jenny

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:The problem really is that it is far too easy to post without a name at the top - like I am doing now. I registered, but found it impossible to use my registered name - some forums require that you are registered and I think it prevents people from being rude because you would need to change your pseudonym if you wanted to post again.

It is unusual for a forum not to require one to register.

Jenny
I had the same problem with my registered name, but at least we can still participate.
Mel

Post by Mel »

In Bucks we get the 11+ results about 7 weeks (beg of Dec) after the second paper is taken. The wait then comes for the school allocation, which like the rest of the country, is on March 1st.

I'm thankfully not worried as we put down a specific school as first choice for our daughter, and in fact it's the ONLY school we are in catchment for, and we are a few yards away from their front gate!!

If we don't get in - no one will!!!

Good luck to everyone else though who is waiting!

Mel
Essex Girl

School allocations

Post by Essex Girl »

Mel,

Just out of interest (I hope you don't mind my asking) but you say that if your child does not get into your first choice of school noone will.

If this is the case, why did your child have to sit the 11+. Surely the place for your child will depend on results or, having had the results already, is it rather a dead cert? Sorry to be nosy, just interested.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Essex Girl

Bucks is a selective county, all children are entered for the 11 plus automatically, unless parent requests otherwise. Tests take place early October, results late November/very early December, as long as you pass you are guaranteed a grammar place. Just have to wait for national allocation day to find out WHICH grammar.

Looking at some posts, Bucks also report the results in different manner. if your child attends a Bucks school [ not out of area children] letters are given to the child at the end of the school day, no problems with the post!

The allocation rules for Bucks grammars has recently changed, some took highest score and worked down, others took catchment, catchment is now top priority and no grammar can admit on scores, just have to pass

Patricia
Mel

Post by Mel »

Hi Essex Girl

No problem at all. As Patricia said - here in Bucks we got our results for the 11+ back in December. Once you know your child has passed , you are guaranteed a grammar school place. Where I live, I only have one school in my catchment, and I live practically next door to it. I believe there are 150 places going there, and living next door we are (virtually) guaranteed a place!! As I said - if we don;t get in then there is a problem, as I am sure there are not 150 children who passed the 11+ living between the school and our house!!! If I had requested an out of catchment school I would be waiting with bated breath to see if our daughter had got a place there. BUT you are still guaranteed a place in your catchment school, even if you do not put it in your list of chosen schools.

The places are given out purely on catchment area and nothing else.

Last year in our chosen school there were about 15 girls who did not get a place, because they lived right on the edge of the catchment area, and there were obviously enough children who passed who lived nearer the school. These girls were then found places at other grammar schools.

Mel
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Where we live you are not guaranteed a grammar place if you pass, our nearest grammar is out of catchment so we are waiting with baited breath.

It must be good to know that if you pass you will get a grammar school, unfortunately we are not so lucky :cry:

Footymad.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Best of luck FootyMad - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Of course - if I lived in Berkshire and took the 11+ for a Bucks school, then I would not be guaranteed a grammar school place. I would have to wait to see if there were any places left after the Bucks children had taken them. I am only guaranteed a place as I live in catchment and took the Bucks 11+ for a Bucks grammar school.

I do not see why children out of catchment should take places from children in catchment. I am not referring to you Footymad as I do not know your situation , I am just speaking on the whole.

After all, we chose to move to an area in a good catchment, rather than rely on luck!

Mel
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Hi Mel,
Where we live in lancs we are just 2 miles out of the catchment for the next county(north yorks). Are local authority grammars are both about 20 to 25 miles away!! at least and hour on a bus.
The nearest grammar for my daughter is in the next county only 8 miles away :? only 15 to 20 min bus trip.

So we are fingers crossed for next week.

Thanks for the well wishes, same goes out to you and you'res.

Footymad.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now