How are our Y5s doing?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Manana

How are our Y5s doing?

Post by Manana »

I am trying to do the same with DD as I did with DS (who is now in Y7 at grammar) but it feels a teeny bit like bashing my head against a brick wall! We seem to have a clash of personalities that didn't exist with DS! Anyway, we are trying; we're doing a bit of VR (she's quite good at this), on the 4th Bond papers for Maths/English and are doing a bit of NVR, though I don't really know what I'm doing with this so it's the blind leading the blind here. I'm trying to do lots of reading together but that seems much more painful than with DS! He hated reading, but was good at it; she rather likes reading, but doesn't seem so intuitive. She adds words that aren't there and changes those that are-this changes the meaning somewhat!

I don't know if I'm just remembering DS at his peak though-and forgetting all the pain beforehand!

What is everyone doing re creative writing? DD has some great ideas and can use similes/metaphors/advanced punctuation WHEN she remembers! Any tips to make her remember?!! I'd like to know how long the 2 pieces of creative writing are going to be as well!? With a comprehension/grammar/vocab, verbal reasoning -there won't be much time left in an hour for 2 bits!? 100 words each!?

What are we all up to, anyway-would be good to hear from others!
Araucana girl

Re: How are our Y5s doing?

Post by Araucana girl »

Hi Manana,
Ds in year 4 so we have a bit longer. Just started to do work with him to take my mind off allocation day on 3rd March :?

I have two different kettles of fish as well - although he is beginning to give me less grief - wants to go to WHSB but doesn't want to work for it unless it is just maths prep :lol: We are managing it with the thought of an XBox at the end of the preparation in Sept Year 6 (it would be a joint birthday present as well) ..... well that is how he is arguing it :lol: :lol:

I am waiting for the sample papers to appear on the CSSE site to see what they are thinking. I have bought the Letts - Secrets of Writing book which seems to have some good ideas. I think I will ease him in gently though - starting with lots of comprehension now, as he is not keen on writing and has a bit of time yet (he is dyslexic).
I might start him with some titles on the computer and get him to write a few paragraphs. I have also bought Descriptosaurus which has some lovely ideas but not a cheap book and Magic Money Writing cards - going to make it into a bit of a game with him when we get going - I think that will work quite well with my son.
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
Manana

Post by Manana »

Araucana girl wrote:Hi Manana,
Ds in year 4 so we have a bit longer. Just started to do work with him to take my mind off allocation day on 3rd March :?

I have two different kettles of fish as well - although he is beginning to give me less grief - wants to go to WHSB but doesn't want to work for it unless it is just maths prep :lol: We are managing it with the thought of an XBox at the end of the preparation in Sept Year 6 (it would be a joint birthday present as well) ..... well that is how he is arguing it :lol: :lol:

I am waiting for the sample papers to appear on the CSSE site to see what they are thinking. I have bought the Letts - Secrets of Writing book which seems to have some good ideas. I think I will ease him in gently though - starting with lots of comprehension now, as he is not keen on writing and has a bit of time yet (he is dyslexic).
I might start him with some titles on the computer and get him to write a few paragraphs. I have also bought Descriptosaurus which has some lovely ideas but not a cheap book and Magic Money Writing cards - going to make it into a bit of a game with him when we get going - I think that will work quite well with my son.
I wish we had another year!! I think bribery might be the way to go. I'm not sure what to bribe her with though and I would imagine it will be expensive!

I think part of DD's problem is that I think she assumes that because DS passed, she will too. If only it were that simple! Are you in the Southend catchment?
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

No. We are Chelmsford schools' catchment but OOC for Southend :? He wants to do it. I am not counting chickens ( although we do have 7 in the back garden so could start :lol: )
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein