being pushed into second sitting on 30th of Sept help pls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
talea51

Re: being pushed into second sitting on 30th of Sept help pl

Post by talea51 »

Our school has their PGL residential trip after SATs and after half term. Pretty sensible I reckon as after SATS in year 6 they aren't doing much academically in any case so it seems like a good time for a residential trip to me.

I really don't envy you having to make this decision.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Friends of ours didn't realise that their DD was going to be on a school trip the week before the 11+. She got back Saturday, test on Monday.

With hindsight they said it was a mistake, she was still exhausted and hyper after, but I'm not sure the school would have let them defer, since technically she wasn't actually away on the date of the test. However they wished they hadn't let her go away, which would have been a shame.

As it was the reason she didn't pass was that she hadn't seen some of the question types before and panicked a bit. Whether she would have panicked less if she had been less tired, who knows.

DDs primary school has not one but two residentials, one PGL in year 5 and a French trip in year 6. Neither are in the autumn term.
Manana

Post by Manana »

What a stupid arrangement. Where is the school, if you don't mind me asking? Please PM if you don't want to put it on here.

I would not let my child go on the school trip, I don't think. Our local state school is diabolical-really, it's not just an average school-it's changed its name several times and has just failed an Ofsted; I will pull out all the stops so my child doesn't have to go there. Two of DC1's friends had to use the second sitting for the 11+ last year due to illness-I think that's a necessary precaution to have in place. If she goes on the trip-misses the exam and comes back with tonsillitis ready for the second sitting, you are truly stuffed.
Love2run

Post by Love2run »

She will never forgive you if you stop her going on the trip so you have to decide either way, I am not sure mine would have been up to the 11+ straight after the trip (my DS did go on a Scout weekend the weekend before his 11+ and came back with a cold which was a major panic but he was ok for the test), have you checked situation with CSSE?
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Hi Thylacine11, I really feel for you on this one. My DS, like Talea51's DC, was poorly, really poorly before the exam in 2014 and ended up sitting the alternative date. In hindsight, it was the best thing, he could never have set the first date, and it was pointed out to me by CRGS, they wouldn't let him stay in the hall if his barking cough disturbed others !

I did however feel terrible and it was awful making the decision and ringing around at lunchtime on the Friday before the test.. we ALL ended up crying, even the dog I think ! He was off school every day of the week beforehand, it was viral and the GP said there was nothing she could do, I tried it all. If he had of sat on the original date he would never ever be thinking of September and that place at CRGS.

We can all give our advice about our children, by Thylacine11, the only person who really knows the answer to this is you and your DC. If you honestly think they won't cope returning from the trip to suddenly do the first sitting, then secure the second sitting.. are you able to do that for this reason ? I would personally ring CSSE, talk it through and check they will allow this.

Sigh, all very difficult, I feel for you.
Thylacine11

Post by Thylacine11 »

Thanks everyone. It looks like we will let her go on the residential and will book second sitting. I will make sure I talk to CSSE first. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experiences.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now