nearly in the bag!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
felgate

nearly in the bag!

Post by felgate »

Feels like its nearly in the bag but not quite. For want of something to chat about in this 12 day 'lack of information wilderness' -if we are in the fortunate position to be in need of a CRGS blazer on the 3rd March- how many blazers do boys usually have? Is one enough or do most boys have two? Do many people buy blazers from the second hand CRGSA shop? I notice they cost a small fortune brand new but I'd be delighted if we needed one and wouldn't care about the cost anyway :)

time goes by soo slowly ................................ 12 more sleeps to go!
KB

Re: nearly in the bag!

Post by KB »

Most boys only have one.
They are now washable and dry pretty quickly so its easy to turn them around over a weekend.
We bought a new one and also a second hand one as a spare ( in case of loss etc) although we never used it and just gave it back to the school shop.
Most do seem to have a new blazer to start year 7 - usually several sizes too large! But there are certainly some who have second hand so its not something that would be a problem.
I do know of some who had hand-me- downs from older brothers.
Generally they seem to have blazer that lasts year 7 & 8 and then many have new in year 9, which they eek through to the end of year 11 (given they go on study leave)

The uniform has just changed from having a house badge to sew on the pocket to having an 'embroidered' crest so I don't know how this will change things - I guess it will be easier to tell who has an old blazer but I can't imagine any 11/12 year old boys being attentive enough to notice!

Whatever you do - make sure the name is in the blazer and maybe your home phone number in case it gets lost out of school.
Redtabby

Post by Redtabby »

My DS started last September and we bought a new blazer, it was a tiny bit too big at the start of term but now fits him well, so may need to buy him a bigger size for year 8.

I rejected at least 5 blazers in the store until I found one with reasonably straight embroidery on the pocket. However, it has survived its first wash. I put it on a very gentle cycle and hung in the airing cupboard to dry.

When you get the uniform and kit list, don't bother with the shell training top, my DS hasn't worn his yet!

Good luck for the 3rd.
Last edited by Redtabby on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Wow.. blazers.. I watched some boys walking into the School last week and was thinking how very honoured and proud I will be to hand Coes my money for one of those. Ipswich have washable blazers and they do come out ok, wash inside out on a really low wash and dry just hanging on the hanger somewhere.

Couldn't agree more with the name labels, get your mobile number on them, its really saved me a few times.
sleeplessinhalstead

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

I can only speak for girls, cchsg, but one of everything (apart from shirts!) is the norm. The kilt washes well and dries very quickly. The blazer washes ok, but it doesn't wear that well imo - bobbled within a few weeks. My dd grew so quickly that both blazer and kilt barely lasted the year. This seemed to be the case for many of the girls so I would say stick with one of each and see how you get on. Especially as the kilts get expensive for the larger sizes, I paid about £42 for the last one I got. But it does look nice!
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

sleeplessinhalstead wrote:I can only speak for girls, cchsg, but one of everything (apart from shirts!) is the norm. The kilt washes well and dries very quickly. The blazer washes ok, but it doesn't wear that well imo - bobbled within a few weeks. My dd grew so quickly that both blazer and kilt barely lasted the year. This seemed to be the case for many of the girls so I would say stick with one of each and see how you get on. Especially as the kilts get expensive for the larger sizes, I paid about £42 for the last one I got. But it does look nice!

:shock: :shock: I so so want to have to buy an expensive CCHS kilt, please :oops:
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

SHSG kilts wash well, but even having washed them in a pair of tights as the lady in the shop advised I find pressing the pleats a chore :shock: Ditto the collars on the blouses (minus the washing in the leg of a pair of tights bit).

However, I do remind myself how sad I felt hanging up DD's uniform for her first day in year 7 (four and a half terms ago) and thinking that it "should have been" a green blazer and kilt and not a black blazer and black trousers. So I remind myself that it is a bit churlish to moan about laundry, DD having had a second chance at the end of year 7 and succeeded in getting in. I do still allow myself a little gnashing of teeth over the care label in the blazer, though :lol:

DS2 is hoping that March 1st will confirm a place at SHSB, so that he can start working his way through DS1's old uniform.

(Actually, that may not be his prime motivating factor??).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
talea51

Post by talea51 »

I too am hoping for a kilt but at 42quid, she'll only be getting one. Dd actually wants to wear trousers. I believe they are an option for both cchs and whsg although I've never seen anyone wearing them but they are on the uniform list on the websites. Maybe the trousers are cheaper than the kilts.

To be honest, I haven't thought too much about uniforms or transport or anything else like that because I can't think past 3rd March.
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

talea51 wrote:I too am hoping for a kilt but at 42quid, she'll only be getting one. Dd actually wants to wear trousers. I believe they are an option for both cchs and whsg although I've never seen anyone wearing them but they are on the uniform list on the websites. Maybe the trousers are cheaper than the kilts.

To be honest, I haven't thought too much about uniforms or transport or anything else like that because I can't think past 3rd March.
I looked at the uniform list for CCHS, mainly to give myself positive thoughts if she is allocated the comp with the much cheaper Tesco uniform. Sort of worked but not really :? I love the CCHS uniform :D
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
sleeplessinhalstead

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

ToadMum wrote:SHSG kilts wash well, but even having washed them in a pair of tights as the lady in the shop advised I find pressing the pleats a chore :shock: Ditto the collars on the blouses (minus the washing in the leg of a pair of tights bit).
There is no need to iron/press or do anything with the CCHSG (ColCHS) kilts, just smooth them out and lay out flat or hang up to dry. The pleats always look perfect and I never iron at all.

I see a number of CCHS (chelmsford) girls on the train on my way to work and I don't think the CCHS kilt is made from the same sort of fabric, the pleats never look as defined and some of the skirts look more "gathered" than pleated. I think it is a bit cheaper though, so perhaps that's what I paying £42 for! In which case it's well worth it!

Good luck for 3rd!