What happens on allocation day?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lspr

What happens on allocation day?

Post by lspr »

This being my first DC experience with the 11+ could someone help me with what happens on allocation day.
Does the Essex website update at 12 midnight on March 3rd with the school allocation?

Also if DC does not get 1st choice how does one go about going on the waiting list for the 1st choice school?

Does it mean your current allocated school preference is taken away?

Fingers crossed for all DCs that the get whichever school they want. Not long to go now to know : )
ahap

Re: What happens on allocation day?

Post by ahap »

lspr wrote:This being my first DC experience with the 11+ could someone help me with what happens on allocation day.
Does the Essex website update at 12 midnight on March 3rd with the school allocation?

Yes, Essex website gets updated at midnight.

Also if DC does not get 1st choice how does one go about going on the waiting list for the 1st choice school?

If you don't get your higher preference, you'll be automatically be in the waiting list.

Does it mean your current allocated school preference is taken away?

No, the school that was offered to you will be taken away only when you let them know that you no longer need it.

Fingers crossed for all DCs that the get whichever school they want. Not long to go now to know : )
Fingers crossed for all of you. :D
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

Please someone correct me if I get anything wrong as this is my first year too :D

From what I gather, if you applied online you will get an email confirmation of your allocated school during 3rd March. However as the clocks change to 12am during night of 2nd March you will be able to logon (if you can get on) onto the Essex website, this is again only if you applied online. Your allocated school will be shown.

If you were unsuccessful for your 1st choice or another above your allocated school that is a grammar, you will automatically be put on the waiting list for that school. You will not be put on a waiting list for a school at a lower position on your list than your allocated school. A week or so after allocations ring your 1st choice school to see where you are on the waiting list. The lists will start to move eventually when people decline offers, you can decide whether to wait a while before you accept the place you have been offered although you will stay on the waiting lists I think even if you accept the allocated school as sometimes offers come even when a child has started thei allocated school in rare cases.
Hope that helps.
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

If you are not allocated your first choice school you are automatically put on the waiting list. You can phone up, usually about 7 working days after offer day to check your position. Essex schools offer waiting list places straight away, whereas Southend schools wait until 31st March to offer waiting list places (so a few late applications may jump ahead and your waiting list position probably will go down).

Waiting lists are a real roller coaster and very unpredictable from one year to the next. Appeals come into play in June, so again you can go down the waiting list as well as up.

Last year CCHS offered 15 places off the waiting list, KEGS- 4, CRGS - 16, ColCHS- 6, WHSB/G- 30+ at each, SHSB- 25+ at each.

Last year at least 4 offers (CCHS, KEGS, ColCHS and SHSB) were made in September after children had already started at their second choice schools.

These are last year's movements:
(All the cut-offs refer to the cut off point on offer day last year).

CCHS (Chelmsford i/c)
339.79 offered
337 not offered (offered off w/l)
336.861 (5th on w/l, offered 20.3.13)
333 (offered 19.9.13) last place offered

cut off 339 approx on offer day

--------------------------------------
CCHS (Chelmsford o/c)
368 offered
365.232 not offered (2nd on w/l, offered 21.3.13)
361.8 offered end of May

Cut off 365 approx
---------------------------------------
KEGS (i/c)
341.845 offered
340.343 not offered (1st on w/l, offered 4.5.13)
339.7 (4th on w/l, offered 17.9.13- last place offered)
337.5 (9th on w/l)

cut off 341 approx
--------------------------------------
KEGS (o/c)
372.298 offered
366.618 not offered

Cut off ?

ColCHS
331 offered
330.648 not offered
330.2 (5th on w/l-offered 5.6.13)
329 Last place offered- 24.9.13

cut off 331 approx

CRGS
339.61 offered
339.175 not offered (2nd on w/l)
338.268 (10th on w/l) offered 1.7.13
337.5 (13th on w/l) offered 11.7.13
337.3 (16th on w/l) offered 20.7.13

cut off 339.5 approx
WHSG o/c
344.628 offered
336.861 not offered (3rd on w/l- offered 2nd April. Rejected place as already offered CCHS)
330 -last place offered
cut off 337 approx

----------------------------------------
WHSB o/c
333.257 offered
330.67 not offered (6th on w/l- offered 5th April)
327-last place offered
cut off 331
SHSG o/c
327 offered
323 not offered
322.7 (8th on w/l -offered 10th April)
316- last place offered
cut off 324

SHSB o/c
330.697 offered
328.5 not offered (2nd on w/l- offered 5th April)
325 (24th on w/l- offered 2nd June)
323 (offered 24.9.13- last place offered)

cut off 329 approx

Hope this helps.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Do check individual school's waiting list policies. Most keep the waiting lists open until 31st Dec 2014, so if a child leaves in the 1st term a place is offered off the waiting list. Some, such as KEGS, holds the waiting list open for a year- so offers are made upto July 2015. You can ask to join a new waiting list after the 11plus list closes, so if a child leaves mid-year, your child and all others on the waiting list, will be asked to sit a set of tests to allocate the place.

Three years ago SHSG did not fill all their places (not enough girls inside or outside of catchment applied who got over 303). So in September 2011 the school had 13 unfilled places. Parents who asked to stay on the waiting list whose DD had not got over 303 were offered the chance for their DD to sit another set of tests (Eng, Maths, Science) in November 2011. 15 girls sat the tests for 13 places. So girls who got 295 in the 11 plus, but who performed well on the waiting list tests, were offered places.

This was a very unusual case. Most Grammars fill their places straight away.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I think according to the relevant Southend on Sea Secondary Admissions booklet, SHSG initially took 7 on appeal so they actually only had 6 places physically unfilled as at 1st September 2011. One of the current year 9 girls told me that 'about 18' applicants took the in-year test (sitting the same maths test as they did for setting), which would tally with an actual figure of 15. She seemed to think that only one girl got in on the test? I think someone posting on here said that their DD transferred from Westcliff after only a few days (I may be mis-remembering this!), which would have left the year 4 'light'.

The following year started over numbers due to appeals, I think, but there has been on-going movement. Our DD and 2 others were admitted right at the end of year 7 via an in-year test last June, and another girl (also from DD's first secondary school) joined the same year via this route last term.

So basically don't give up hope if you don't get what you were hoping for initially, because people do move around :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

And nothing will happen instantly so if you are still confused come allocations day just come back on here and there are many who are happy to help.
You can also call County but again, give them a bit of time as they will be very busy on allocations day!
bravado

Collated Cut-Offs 2013 - Waiting List Info

Post by bravado »

I have re-hashed this one to help 2014 entrants :D